Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Interest For Big Brake Kits

Some of you were asking me questions about big brake kits.

In my part of the world :P , the most popular big brakes for the Altezza/IS200/IS300 and the Aristo/GS300 are:

1. Supra Twin Turbo 4-pot calipers

- lowest cost, but heavy.

- Is currently sold as the lowest cost TRD brake kit

Approx. price: GBP380 (reconditioned) - 440 (new) + shipping

after modification for the calipers

link to TRD Supra BBK

2. Lexus LS400/UCF20 4-pot calipers

- Can be found used. Are made of aluminium, monoblock design. Much lighter (about 20%) than the Supra.

- Before the current UCF30/LS430 came out, TRD used this design as their top line,

Approx. price: GBP450(reconditioned) + shipping

after modification for the calipers. (note needs painting, since original calipers are unpainted).

3. Lexus LS430/UCF30 4-pot calipers

- Only new. Are made of aluminium, monoblock design. Much lighter than the Supra.

link to TRD UCF30/LS430 BBK

Approx. price: GBP550 (brandnew) + shipping

after modification for the calipers (note needs painting, since original calipers are unpainted).

If there is enough interest, I could do a groupbuy for the above.

Besides these, there are also the cheap Taiwanese kits, and the expensive Brembos, AP Lockheed, Endless, ... kits

Edited by jdmparts_guru

in the pics its showing full discs and lines etc, i take it thats another price? and with the supra calipers will i have to source new supra discs?

The ones on the pics are the TRD ones. As mentioned, these are using the same calipers as I mentioned.

However, for the TRD name you will need to pay a huge premium.

Just the brake lines are almost GBP200 a set. i think similar brake lines can be have in the UK for significantly less.

I think the 'low-cost' TRD big brake kit will be approx. GBP1600 and the premium one with the monoblock calipers will prob. cost GBP2200 or so :o

Most people in HK are not willing to pay this premium, and buy the parts seperately.

well after an incident last night where i narrowly avoided getting hit by a transit that swerved accross the road (thank you ABS & michelin for keeping me safe!) i am definately considering a larger set of stoppers!

after my zorst arrives (also did you recieve the final payment?) i will be thinking about getting the supra calipers rather than the mono block ones. so they will arive ready to bolt on if i buy them from you?

its a misconception that bigger brakes stop you quicker...........

Having bigger Brakes, does not mean better braking or that they will stop the car faster. What it will do is lower the overall operating temperature of the brakes which is great, they will also allow for less brake pedal imput. IF that is what causing the problem on the car. BUT NO. After that point, you are doing more harm than good, you are upsetting the brake balance of the system designed and installed, however…unless you really like the look , and the BLING factor

The IS200 Rotors are already HUGE! If you want to improve braking systems then start looking into pads and brake lines.

however if you are in the Game to abuse your Brakes, Bigger can help, for the reasons ive said above...for a road car it would be overkill unless heavily modded

well after an incident last night where i narrowly avoided getting hit by a transit that swerved accross the road (thank you ABS & michelin for keeping me safe!) i am definately considering a larger set of stoppers!

if your ABS came in, then the brakes are already doing more than you need. i can see that bigger might make them cooler, but that's not the main consideration when you want it to stop on a sixpence!

well i will keep the standard brakes for a min, am changing the discs for some mintex ones as mine are a little warped i think. not bad tho a pair of discs on the front for £80 with my discount

Uhm... to my understanding braking depends on several factors,

the condition of the tires, the brake pads (material/sizes), the rotors sizes, ...

since the Supra rotors are bigger than the original IS rotors, stopping should be a bit better.

However, the real benefits are:

- brake fading will be much less

- braking power will be consistent, even after multiple brake stops

- brake feeling/control will be much better

• 11 months later...