Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blue/red Dash

i got the kit form lextacy,, just waiting for fever to get back from hong kong th w/e so i can try it in his car,, unless there are volunteers..

the kit contains blue rubber caps that replace the oem orange ones. although lextacy included one red cap instead of a blue one, i have asked that steve sends me a blue one but alas have heard nothing..

yes i hav also heard that they are dim, but as they say the proof is inthe pudding, especially as we all know that a picture doesnt allways tell the truth when it come to light exposure..

if anyone else would like to try these as an impartial person, please let me know and i wil lpop them in the post to you..

not difficult at all to remove the cluster,, 5 mins is all..

remove the kick panel, undo the 3 screws holding the lower dash and pull off,, then 2 screw for the cluster bezal, pull that off,, mask up the ignition barrel dash area as you may scratch it up.. then another 3 for the actual cluster,, disconect the rear connectors, job done..

the OEM orange onthe cluster is simply a rubber sleeve over filiment bulbs,, problem is when using darker colours this way, the light does not filter through bright enough..

the same method is used on the A/C cluster.... if only the whole dash was done with leds,, would be so much simpler

hmm problem with colouring the bulbs yourself is that you need to make sure you maintain an even coat over the whole surface, else you get trouble with inconsistant colours, inconssitant light dispertion patterns, heat build up on the thickest part of the paint..

as for the dimensions, of the top of my head i think the large bulb is 10mm across. standard 501 wedge type.. google it..

also i have only found 2 places that manufacture silicon bulb covers, and have tried one, and no good..

no problem.. also if your planning to do the radio etc, then you will have to match up the colours you have just painted with the leds your gona use inthe radio and various switches..

also be aware of heat vs paint fade and cracking issues

yeh,,

you got 3 large bulbs around the speedo.. two at the top eitehr side, and one bottom right.

then 1 smaller at the bottom of the rpm and one behind the fuel..

so you could put 2 of the same colour at the top of the speedo, two of the other colour onthe rpm and fuel and i think the same coluor as the rpm and fuel on the bottom of the speedo, tha should work.

hi innovision,, yes 3 of the bulbs inthe speedo cluster are 501 type or 168 or T3, which ever you like, there are also 2 smaller bulbs for the rpm and fuel. these are 192 or T1 spec.

The problem with using off the shelf wedge type leds like the one you have suggested is that although they may be bright they do not i'lluminate the whole cluster properly.. Reason being is that the 3 gauges within the cluster (rpm, fuel and speedo) have light pick up points on the back that 'pick up' the light scattered and then route this along the entire length of the guage, much like the fibre optic affect,, you shine light in one end and it come out the other end only (certainly this is how the cluster needles i'lluminate).. or another example (and probally more applicable to the i'lluminationof the actual lettering) would be like having a sheet of perspex and shining an LED on one edge, you will then see the same intensity of light on all the other edges, and also long the surface (although not as innstense)

Another point to think about is that the filiment bulbs scatter light prety much 360 degrees, which measn the light pick up points have no problems sucking up the light and dispersing evenly.

Leds however,by there very nature, have a very narrow viewing angle,, ie standard LED as used in your suggestion will have either a 15degree or 30 degree viewing angle.. now it doesnt take much working out that this is nowhere near liek 360..

You can get small surface mount leds, as used in mobile phones which have 120degrees, but unfortunalty they are appro 2mmx1mm in size so how the hell you gona mount these inthe cluster..

Therefore the solution is to find an LED that has the same light dispertion properties as a filiment bulb.. not easy...

Fargo. Let me know how that kit turned out. You were one of the first 10 to get rubber cap kits. We are now using LED's for blue and Rubber caps for red because the blue caps were giving off a turqoise color to them.

Follow this thread to see the new kits we are releasing in the next couple days.

Don't worry Fargo.....We'll hook you up if you are not fully satisfied.

http://www.clublextasy.com/ftopict-826.html

p1010152.jpg

And Key Ring LED lights

p1010122.jpg

hey steve, wussup man..

the turquise colour is due to the backing of the lettering,, so in my research i have found that you need to have a certain wavelength of blue as not all blues are the same and differ from LED to LED.. so you can appreciate how hard it is to match up the colours with the cluster and the stereo, sat nav switches etc..

did you get my email steve..the kit i got from you, it had one small red cap instead of a blue one..anychance you can post one out.. PM me and i'll give you my address..

hey steve, wussup man..

the turquise colour is due to the backing of the lettering,, so in my research i have found that you need to have a certain wavelength of blue as not all blues are the same and differ from led to led.. so you can appreciate how hard it is to match up the colours with the cluster and the stereo, sat nav switches etc..

did you get my email steve..the kit i got from you, it had one small red cap instead of a blue one..anychance you can post one out.. PM me and i'll give you my address..

We are going to send you one of our latest full kits for free. Please give us a couple days to finish up the new instructions. Hopefully you can do a nice write up and help us develop the kit to the fullest expectations of a Lexus owner.

lol hey man,, if you want to test out the blue caps i have from lextacy, then i'll post em out to you no problem...

that way no-one (LED auto design) can accuse me of 'stratgically placing them out of the market with bad reviews...lol

Dunno paul, sounds like the mechanical menace might come out to play! :P :P

its ok m8, you keep them! (that is unless you wanna fit them for me buddy :winky: )

Stu :driving: