Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels

devdale

Read all the past comments about wheel corrosion and encouraged to ask for replacements. Plymouth fitted fresh wheels with no hassle 1 week short of guarantee running out. These are apparently lacquered refurbished but look OK. Still not sure of reason for corrosion - told about lack of lacquer (sorry), salt, poor alloy from Japan (due to environmental issues), thin lacquer (25micron not 125 micron as used by Volvo). Told to clean with alloy cleaner but also told this will do no good as the alloy is poor quality (not as good as European alloy (we must not bother about pollution!) and will corrode from inside. Apparently refurbisher only guarantees for 3 months. Lexus apparently will replace fresh ones if problem seen again. Lexus not sure if new grey ones are any better yet as they have not been around long. Bit confusing really. Anyway tyres are OK at present so I will keep an eye on them ??? ;)

i think that is a good idea, i got mine from an ex-lexus dealer (only ex by about a week) about 6 months ago, and i think they're starting to go now (little lumps appearing on them in places :tsktsk: ), and i have no idea what to do about it, if i can do anything at all.

So a thread detailing courses of action etc would be beneficial to all the members who have/will have this problem with their alloys.

Stu :driving:

Just on this topic, has anopne tried to flat back the corrosion with wet and dry and re-laquer?

Any thoughts on this?

you would need to re-paint and re-laquer, may be difficult to get a match in colour.

I added an extra coat of lacquer on BRAND NEW replacements a year ago. The old ones only corroded on the recessed parts where the brake dust tended to collect.

No problems so far and still looks as new but I follow the detailing guides (somewhere on this site).