Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speeding Fines To Go Variable

aido

From http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13095314,00.html

A flexible system of speeding penalties is being introduced by the Government.

Motorists driving way over the speed limit face up to six points on their licence, under plans to be outlined next month.

But those caught just marginally over will escape with as few as two, according to the Sunday Times.

A consultation on the widely trailed scheme will be launched some time after the local and European elections on June 10.

At present, drivers caught breaking the speed limit receive three points regardless of their actual speed.

An automatic ban is slapped on anyone racking up 12 points - or four offences - within three years.

However, with 30,000 motorists suspended in 2002, ministers are concerned that people who need their licence for work are losing their livelihoods.

They also face a backlash over the increased use of speed cameras.

Critics argue the cameras are more about raising cash for the Treasury than improving road safety.

Call me cynical but it just means that they can fine you 6 times instead of 4 before you get banned if they go ahead with this.

At present, drivers caught breaking the speed limit receive three points regardless of their actual speed.

This is rubbish. If you go to court then it's variable already.

My dad got 7 points and £250 fine for speeding on the motorway. :unsure: He went to court.

One of my friends got 3 point and a £60 fine (I think) for the same offence. Didn't go to court.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links