Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Turbo?

YO,

I have a 2002 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD, and it seems I bit off a little more than I can chew...the car is too expensive for my budget, and diesel and not all that sporty. I'm looking for a substitute thats preferably sporty and RWD, the ISes seem like a good choice. I've had the chance of test driving an IS300 (automatic :yack: ) and it was quite good in the corners and pretty fast and very smokealicious (have some footage if anyone cares ;) ). Of course i cant really afford an IS300 so the 200 seems like a good alternative. Trouble is 0-60mph in 9.5s and only 150hp seems a little puny, so my question is: is there a good turbo kit available? All I see are links to various kits, but there are no reviews. You might call me a ricer, but i want that blow-off valve sound, which a supercharger cannot provide and the sudden "kick in the ***** boost" rather than a more progressive boost. Also, how much power can i expect from the stock internals, how much are reinforced ones? Is an engine-swap (200-300) economically possible? Another option i consider is nitro, how long does a "bottle" last how long is it safe to use it? how expensive is N20?

this got my attention:

Turbo Kit

Seems pretty cheap, but can the hardware be trusted?

The TTE supercharger is really the only option on the IS200 unless you want to spend £££s

Maybe you should look at the Altezza RS? 210bhp standard and there are turbo and supercharger kits available for it.

are you not interested inthe is300 cause of running costs or simply as you say you want a bit of raw power..

you can supercharger the is200 with a specifically designed charger,, this will bring it to 212bhp (same as an is300) but the cost of a legit one (3000 gbp + install) , you may as well put that 3k into getting the is300.

as for turbos for the is200, si skippy has had a HKS turbo conversion, but without uprating the stock internals you only seeing sub 300 bhp.. agtain fothe money you will spend on adding a turbo and uprating the internals to go above 300bhp you may aswell get the is300 and add nos..

if you get the is300 then there are PLENTY of superchargers and turbos over inthe US.. search for PFS (peter farrell sports) TBKO, PLP (pro lex performance) PHR (powerhouse racing) SRT (swift racing) Toyomoto..

the is300's are good for 400-500 bhp on stock internals. this was the route i was gona take cept i couldnt get damn insurance..

Then theres NOS.. there are a couple of guys here with is200 supercharged and a 50 shot of nos..

and myself with an is300 and 75 shot.. nos is by far the best value 'bang for your bucks' mod.. we all use Highpower Systems (wizard of nos) and all use a progressive controller to limit engine damage.. one guy dave ellen has bene running the s/c and nos happerly for many many thousands of miles..

The IS300s are 5000Euro more than the 200s where I am going to buy(France), and the insurance is much higher.

I will look more into the superchargers, the Altezza RS is not available at all in France never seen one other than at a car meet and it was Righ-hand drive :(

The IS300s are 5000Euro more than the 200s where I am going to buy(France), and the insurance is much higher.

I will look more into the superchargers, the Altezza RS is not available at all in France never seen one other than at a car meet and it was Righ-hand drive :(

Hi, the Brits are well off once again,

But count yourself lucky, in the Netherlands the IS300 Executive is €12000 more than an IS200 Executive. You can buy 2 superchargers for that!

IS200 Executive: € 36,750

IS300 Executive: € 49,100 :crying:

Consequently, there are virtually no IS300s to be found in NL, and fuel prices of € 1.35 per litre aren't of any help :angry:

RX-Men-8

Consequently, there are virtually no IS300s to be found in NL, and fuel prices of € 1.35 per litre aren't of any help :angry:

:ohmy:

That's 92p a litre - and I thought it was expensive over here! That's a disgrace!

I'm in Norway right now and a 99' Lexus IS200 with 100kkm and no goodies is 30kEur (210kNOK) and gas is 1.2Eur/l so don't complain hehe luckily I can also buy in France. How is the gas economy(maybe bad choice of word) on the IS200 vs. IS200 S/C?

I've heard (and I believe) that if you have a supercharger on your IS200 and keep driving just as fast as before, you'll get slightly better fuel economy. Because of the better torque you can shift into the next gear sooner and drive in a lower rev-range. :shifty:

But you wont. :o You'll use the extra power again every time and get an accordingly worse fuel consumption. :D It'll just depend on how heavy footed you are.

And yes, even though we in NL pay an enormous amount of tax (40%) on our cars and fuel compared to most European countries, there are some that are worse (maybe except for the fuel). Scandinavia has even higher car taxes. The second-hand IS200 you described would only cost about €20,000 here. My sincerest condolances :crybaby:

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

just one more thing...hehe is the car willing to do a lil wheelspin on dry asphalt? and is it willing to do donuts? Childish question...but what can you do....

Nah the car doesn't do anything immature like that :winky:

Check this link out for an example:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...=13148&hl=smoke

Just load the video at the top and you'll see what I mean :P