Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2 Is Issues

Had my 2001 SE Auto for about a month now.

Couple of things bugging me -

1. Sometimes when taking a corner slowly I get a slight knocking sound - car had new MOT recently and is from Lex main dealer so assume shocks / bushes must be OK - is it just a 'trait' ? Anyone else get this ?

2. Previous owner has had a very minor scrape on the wing and there is a very small hairline fracture. The paint on this wing seems to have discoloured / faded slightly - I assume because it is no longer sealed. So what are the chances of getting a new wing or respray under warranty i.e. the paint is defective but only because it has been knocked.

Thanx.

Hi S,

On the 1st point I can comment regarding experience with my IS200 which has now over 100,000 miles on it. I had one of the front balljoints replaced (€90 part)as it was making a popping sound every time the car rolled from left to right (curves, roundabouts) or hit a bump with the right front wheel. I mean, these were fairly loud clonks.

Now it is hard to hear, but I am suspecting a similar thing with one of the joints on the rear stabilizer bar. But it might be something clonking in the boot as well.

Just make sure it is not one of the brake pads that is shifting in the caliper. So the clonk shouldn't coincide with applying the brakes or changing direction (say, from forward to reverse). If it does, it's probably the brake pads that need a new one of those spacer-springy thingies :whistling: . Or some extra copper ease.

Maybe someone else can comment on your paint job problem ;)

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Right - it's not related to braking - just taking fairly sharp corners at say 20 mph - happens every time I turn into my road. Very slow or fast corners - no noise :unsure:

I have the same problem with my IS

when im turning slow ie for parking I get a very nasty clank and bending metal noise (spring type noise).

I thought it was the lower balljoints as last service Lexus said they were showing signs of wear. Ive had them changed. still the same noises, I thought maybe it was the front shock, Ive changed them to coil overs now. still got the noises, I can only assume that its something to do with the roll bar now, as Ive ordered some uprated roll bars with new bushes I'll find out if that cures the noises, if not then im stumped and im going to have to see mr Lex again about it :duh: :duh:

Hi Brettster,

Probably, it should be either a ball jount or the anti-roll bar attachment. That's what the lexus dealer said.... If it wasn't such a lot of work, I wouldn't mind having all the bushes changed on my car. I'll have a look when I put in the TTE springs, maybe I'll be lucky and see the bad one.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Ive had the lower ball joints changed

i suppose it could be the top ones

only the anti roll bar left for me to change so i hope that sorts it out when i get the new ones on :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links