Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Maybe Clutch Problem?

Maz

Clutch? Gearbox? or Quick Shift? or nothing worth worrying?

Hi guys, been mostly good day today until i got home, just as im parking the car back in the garage, i found i couldnt engage reverse, i can push the B & M gear stick to the left and i can hear the reverse sound, but i just couldnt push it forward to engage, the clutch was fully pressed at the time, so i release the clutch and press again to engage, and it work, but i have to do that a few times before i able to park the car properly into the Garage, and everytime i engage reverse, i had to release the clutch first, even that may need a few go before i can get in gear, and during that time i found 1st, 3rd and 5th is ok, but have difficulty engaging 2nd, 4th, 6th, but reverse is the worst, it feel like some thing is blocked inside the gear box, with the clutch fully in there no gear noises whatsoever and the engine is around idle speed, after i parked the car i when and done some work and came back an hour later and washed the car, so i try again and all the gear seem to be ok, i can engage every gear without any problems, now what i want to know is can you tell if a clutch, gear box or gear shift is the cause by just listening to the noises through the gearbox and by feeling when you push the gear stick or by pressing the clutch? :crybaby::crybaby: hope you guys know what im talking about.... :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

PS: just hope this dont happen again ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

If the clutch is sticking, you'll hear a clunk/jump when you actually manage to put it in gear. The cogs will get a sudden jolt because the clutch is not entirely disengaged.

But, with the quickshifter I'd suggest looking at the precision of its shifting pattern. If it is not spot on you may be actually trying to force it slightly next to a gear.

Any of the above fit the pattern?

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I have the same problem, its the extra heat build-up, makes the master cylinder too hot, overheats the fluid and ends up so the clutch won't disengage properly. Happens mainly in the summer or after long drives.

When you say it's the extra heat build up do you mean from the hot day or do you mean the extra heat from the charger??

If the clutch is sticking, you'll hear a clunk/jump when you actually manage to put it in gear.  The cogs will get a sudden jolt because the clutch is not entirely disengaged.

But, with the quickshifter I'd suggest looking at the precision of its shifting pattern.  If it is not spot on you may be actually trying to force it slightly next to a gear.

Any of the above fit the pattern?

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

all i know is it feel like the gearbox is jam, you cant push it in gear, no noises at all, and when it does go into gear it just like normal, with that clunk noise you normally get with the quickshift/standard gear....

also i notice 4th gear can only half engage (ie.the gear with go in half way and no clunk sound), not sure if that make any different?

but like i say after a while and it seem to be ok........... :question::question::question::question:

I have the same problem, its the extra heat build-up, makes the master cylinder too hot, overheats the fluid and ends up so the clutch won't disengage properly. Happens mainly in the summer or after long drives.

Did you also have the B & M Quickshift fitted Dark? i have the Quickshift and uprated Clutch, and not sure which is causing this problem, as it never happen before till today, is there a way to sort it out matey?

I thought several people who fitted B+M shifter had this problem ?

Apart from me having tennis elbow now, I've got no problems with my QS.

Some people had shaking/rattling? Maybe if yours did this, it could be the next stage.... Bearings gone whats throwing the action off ??? :unsure:

Though if your getting the reverse sound it could be the clutch

I thought several people who fitted B+M shifter had this problem ?

Some people had shaking/rattling? Maybe if yours did this, it could be the next stage.... Bearings gone whats throwing the action off ??? :unsure:

Though if your getting the reverse sound it could be the clutch

I dont have any Rattle or Shaking with my quickshift, everything seem to be ok till yesterday, then it disappear abit later, what i worry about is the problem may return......... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Is there an adapter plate for the quickshift?

If so, these can sometimes be moved / slackened with the gear change, causing missalignment and the inability to select certain gears.

Why don't you ask TDi Maz...? They may have a better idea having done the work....

I already send Mark a E-mail, but hes away until Tomorrow, and the car is going back to Lexus Leeds next monday for a replacement heater fan, just dont want same thing to happen again that all....

is the clutch fluid ok........

as this could be low

I will check that later on, i was wondering that too, but i had a full service at Lexus Leeds yesterday, surely they will check???? :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

When you say it's the extra heat build up do you mean from the hot day or do you mean the extra heat from the charger??

extra heat from the supercharger, combined with hot weather does it for my car. although i've got different exhaust manifolds which compound the problem.

Did you also have the B & M Quickshift fitted Dark? i have the Quickshift and uprated Clutch, and not sure which is causing this problem, as it never happen before till today, is there a way to sort it out matey?

i've always had this problem since the upgrades, hasn't been affected by sports clutch or b&m shifter - still has the same problem. only happens if the car is really hot, so hot weather, long drive. worst was at JAE last year, got to lexus pitch, turned across road about to reverse and was then like. hmm, too hot, no reverse! took about a minute to get the damn thing in reverse.

Get it checked out where it was supplied and fitted ...

I personally could'nt live with something like that.

Not easy for me Steve, Too far to travel is my problem, will see what Mark say when he get back....

Doesn't sound too good this one!! :huh:

How about modifying the cooling system to bring the fan on sooner.....?? Or even an uprated heavy duty cooling system where the fans come on sooner....??

Doesn't sound too good this one!! :huh:

How about modifying the cooling system to bring the fan on sooner.....?? Or even an uprated heavy duty cooling system where the fans come on sooner....??

I was wondering about this aswell.

If the two radiator cooling fans were wired sothat they were constantly on when the engine was running, wouldn't this also cool alot of under bonnet components aswell as fluids from the brakes, clutch and power steering...

I know when my fans kick-in, its like a bl88dy tornado under the bonnet......

Just a thought....

Anyone ! ;)

I wouldn't want the noise of the fans all the time. Also you may make the bay even hotter drawing hot air from the rad all the time.

If you have one of those cooling panels you may want to consider removing it. It blocks up the holes that allow cool air to pass into the engine bay.