Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Se-l / Volkswagen Touareg V10 Tdi

I own a Lexus RX 300 se-l which I got in December Last year.

My husband picked up the Touareg V10 TDI on the 10th May.

Can I just say that I love my RX300.

It is quite hard to compare the two the Touareg is a 5litre diesel and 15 grand more.

1. The performance of the V10 is awesome against the rx300 indeed against many a car.

2. Interior cabin build quality I think looks better in the Touareg.

3. Same type of dials but the touareg's cabin interior illumination at night is wicked.

4. No reverse camera in the Touareg now that sucks.

5. The rear light clusters are more cool in the Lexus.

6. No remote opening thingy of the tailgate in the Touareg now that sucks.

These things may be from a woman's point of view but it is afterall mostly women that drive the Lexus rx300.

Oh and Volkwagen have no idea what's so ever about the Luxury car market.

You would think that you have just bought a golf (sorry any golf owners) they are terrible.

But on performance I would have the Touareg V10 against any suv.

I would however have the Lexus against any of the other engine sizes in the Touareg range no doubt about it.

I guess you cannot compare the two due to the price difference.

What Car? had a comparision between the SE-L and a petrol Touareg. The VW was much cheaper but if you added the options to bring it to the SE-L spec (which you cannot fully) it was more expensive, was slower, used more fuel, handled worse on the road, made more noise, worse depreciation etc. etc. The only think the VW came out on top was the off-road performance which only 1% of owners care about.

Hi,

You could be right about the petrol comparisons. However the Touareg we have is the diesel and there is no other power plant in the world that can match it.

Worse yet I get a better return for my milage in the Treg than I do in the Lexus.

Our Treg has Air Suspension the basic Treg V6 does not so I can not comment on that.

But on road handling at 120mph in the Treg (demo we had for the weekend) felt better than the Lexus.

I am only sharing with you what my experience has been so far.

HI

I was just about to launch a new post on this specific topic. We are considering to buy either a Touareg or a RX 300 (but the hybrid model) and although I love Lexus, I think the Touareg is more comfortable (I found the seats bigger) and more 'imposing' on the road. I am test driving one (a V10 TDI) this Saturday, so I will keep you posted.

I would be glad to hear anyone else who has experienced either car.

how is toureg pronounced ??

as in toe rag :whistling:

strange thing is they dont look right with a vw badge

saw one of their luxery thingys in germany, looked gorgeous but didnt look right with the vw badge ;)

strange thing is they dont look right with a vw badge

Spot on, it should have an Audi badge. I know it's the same parts bin but you can't seriously expect people to spunk £50K on something that shares a badge and poor dealer service with a Lupo. And don't get me started on the Phaeton, it's an even sillier idea.

Well we traded in a 10month old Range Rover the badge did not bother me in fact I like it.

I like the Lexus badge to but not the gold ones yuck.

The "toe rag" is a cool nick name thats what I call ours.

Listen once you have a drive in their V10 TDi your smitten.

But I have the best of both worlds I have my Lexus RX300. The Toe rag.

And when I am fed up with suv's I can jump into my Mini Cooper S works see at www.zeemax.com mines is the electric blue one.

Thornef,

What else did you consider when buying the RX and Toureg ?

I wanted a Volvo V70R (v.mad and fast) and test drove that on the same day as the RX. Strangely I preferred the RX ! I then couldn't be bothered driving the X5 and Volvo XC90 because I didn't fancy queuing for over a year for the pleasure of owning one ! If I could have afforded the V10 I might have had a go in a Toureg and even briefly flirted with the idea of a Porsche Cayenne until my wife reminded me that it is a hideous monster and that VW have built a much much prettier version.

Well I changed into the Lexus from a Mits Shogun swb it was the pits. looked at the xc90 did not do it for me in the cab. X5 nope my brother has one.

Looked at nothing else just bought the toe rag.

but I have to admit to fancying a change from the Lexus to the v6 Porche sport I like them but its the price.

Touareg is pronounced: Toe-wa-reg

The Touareg is coming from the legendary tribesmen living in the Sahara desert between Morocco and Mauritania. They wear Blue all around...can't miss them!

See that's the problem it is a girly 4x4 infact it is not really a 4x4 and people shouldn't buy it with that in mind I didn't.

The video u see when at the volkswagen dealers shows you a Treg V10 pulling a combine harvester in a muddy field it was awesome.

The RX is suited to on road driving more capable in the snow etc than what most executive cars.

How is the RX not a 4x4? It has 4 wheel drive it's just not really a true off-road vehicle.

The RX is fine going across muddy fields etc. but anything more and you would need more off-road tyres and higher ground clearance etc. That's what the Lexus LX/Toyota Landcruiser is about.

See that's the problem it is a girly 4x4 infact it is not really a 4x4 and people shouldn't buy it with that in mind I didn't.

The video u see when at the volkswagen dealers shows you a Treg V10 pulling a combine harvester in a muddy field it was awesome.

surely you would be better off buying a tractor :huh:

Only seen one or two of the VWs. Seems everybody wants the Porsche Cayenne in Surrey, man that is one ugly vheicle.

I agree with that, its just a big 911?