Hi guys

I've just had my MOT fail at a local garage ('94 GS300) due to lack of reserve in the parking brake, i.e. the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Apparently there is adjustment in it, but does anyone know where i access it for adjustment, is it under the car? near in pedal? ??

Any pointers much appreciated

cheers

Ants

When I had that it was shoes worn out and scored the drum, so new shoes, drums/disks, and pads lexus did the job cost £450 OH MY *** and I dont even use the parking brake. :duh: :crybaby:

On mine, it's near the rear axle under the car, the cable has a tensioner (with 2 x 10mm nuts for adjusting) just before it splits into 2.

Thanks guys i hope its just a matter of adjustment, least i can point the garage in the right direction for adjustment :)

Ants

Ants.

In theory, your handbrake/parking brake shoes should never wear out. We all know its easy to leave the brake on and drive off though.

Best way to sort it is the longest way. Take of the rear calipers, remove the disc and make sure the shoe adjusters aren't seized. If they are then the chances are they will need replacing. Just by adjusting the brake shoes should enable the pedal to become firmer with out the need to touch the cable.

Sorted now :) it did just need adjusting, fortunately. The pedal is much more positive now and only moves about 1/3 the travel it did before :)

thanx for your suggestions

Ants