Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Displeased!

Today at the petrol station I was stopped by a guy wanting to know what I thought of my is200. He explained he was wanting to buy one soon.

Obviously I told him it's fantastic, second one i've had, blah, blah, blah....

Then the discussion turned to extras... I said in a merc or beemer the amount of extras available in the lexus would cost thousands more. To which he replied:

"yeah, well i suppose it is a poor man's BMW"!

I was nearly sick on he feet!

People have such bizarre misconceptions about Lexus. Don't get that attitude in the states where it's premium brand no. 1!

oh well....

So it is. I don't have any money left because off spending all into mods of my Lex. Better than paying for failures and problems outside of warranty. :hehe:

And the guy will never drive a lex. It's better for us i think :P

People have such bizarre misconceptions about Lexus. Don't get that attitude in the states where it's premium brand no. 1!

oh well....

I've had its still no bm or merc :sick: just a toyota

Just jealous peeps and would you really want them driving the same brand of car as you?

There's nothing wrong in owning a Toyota and they have models that are more expensive than most Lexus models.

I own my car because I like it, not what others think. If Lexus didn't exist in the UK and the models were badged Toyota I would still have the same car.

My sister has had 4 BMWs 3 series and openly admits that its because of the BADGE! She admits that the IS 200 is a far superior car!!!!!

Some people really are ignorant of how the world has changed. BMW and Mercedes were once unchallenged in terms of build quality, performance, comfort, handling etc. Quite a few people still believe that German cars are the best cars on the planet despite build quality/reliability declining when compared with earlier models.

However, the entire car industry has changed in the last 10 years. A Ford Focus can now keep up with a BMW in the bends, and the build quality of a Mondeo is up there with prestige brands.

What can we say, the truth hurts. To change perceptions and attitudes, takes a long, long time. I had exactly the same comments as Nick got, when I first bought my car in 1998. Until of course, people sat inside the car or drove it, which is when they suddenly went speechless!

To top it all, when the supplying dealer brought the car to my office for a test drive, he showed me how smooth the engine was. He placed a 50 pence coin on the engine, started the engine and revved it like mad. Coin stood still. That's the quality of engineering that convinced me to get it. My colleague who used to go on previously about how smooth his 320i straight six was (and it was smooth), went home and tried the same test. However, his coin fell over as soon as he started the engine.

Anyway, Mercedes are the taxis of Continental Europe. Anyone who has visited Germany and other places will see E-Class diesel Mercedes everywhere. Hardly exclusive?

Look at some of the great sports cars that came out of Japan in the 90s. Mazda's RX-7, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Supra Twin Turbo, Skyline GTRs, Soarers, Mazda MX-5, Honda NS-X, Subaru Impreza Turbo, Mitsubishi Evo.

I mean the NS-X was finished with the help of Ayrton Senna and despite driving better than a Ferrari, and much more reliable, the magazines kept having a go at it's Japanese origins.

This is a little strange to me because I often get the opposite reaction to this. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc are all pretty household names, and because of this, everyone kinda knows roughly how much they cost. However, in this country, because Lexus is fairly unknown, it holds a lot more cred when u say 'I drive a Lexus' and also because it looks, drives and rides fantastic!

I have never felt, or don't think I ever will feel that I'd rather have a BMW, and the only reason I bought this is because it was cheaper. The fact that it was, was just even more of a bonus! Anyone who does feel that way, should go buy a BMW, (and get a life :P jus kiddin) and stop being a cheapskate

I get alot of looks from BMW owners...

the problem lexus have is that they do not have upgradeable cars as BMW have.

The first BMW owner might purchase a 318.. then 2 years later upgrades to a 320.. and so on.. Lexus does not have this.. So many owners are either upgrading to an IS300 or a GS... but more are likely to buy another brand completely.. As a BMW owner can freely upgrade through the different model levels.

I get alot of positive remarks from my Lexus...

"Nice cars those.. reliable"... or "Dont see many of those around"

Lets hope when Lexus Launch the New IS with the bigger engine they have more upgradable options lined up.

Its great i feel to have a car that has no badges, the looks and wheels say it all,Also whenever anyone asks what you driving now; and i reply Lexus - The look on there faces - priceless and the comment you must be loaded and things must be good.. I picked mine as i like to feel im individual.

Having previuosly owned a merc :blush: - i can honestly say that the car wasnt that bad, not billiant, but not bad in terms of it was a solid car. Probably more suited to the older driver as it had absolutly no poke in it. Around 10 - 20 years ago they were exclusive motors as you had to have money to own one, but nowadays they more affordable, hence common and unless your going to get an SLR you aint very exclusive :lol: :winky:

I get a lot of looks in my car and dont think peaple see it as a wannabee BM or MERC B) B)

best one was when i pulled up to say hi to a mate and when i pulled off my mate was asked by a couple of bystanders if i was a drug dealer

:lol::lol: My sisters always call me that since i bought my motor :lol::lol:

For the last 10 years i have all ways wantted a B*W untill the day one of my mates comes round and he was drivering an IS i was like WOW let me have a drive, well when i come back from that drive i said thats the car i want, and with in 4 weeks i had one, :D :hehe: and if i buy a new car in 3 years it will be new IS B) thats how much i like this car

I got my lex because it did not have the stigma of BMW. I did fancy a merc but by the time I cost up all the extras I would need another £10K. If people want to call it a poor mans BMW let the uninteligent call it what they like.

When I got mine home the first thing I got told is the Lexus is the choice of the Drug Dealers in Liverpool. Upside is not many people would consider nicking it.

A friend of mine Big BMW fan even thinks my Lexus is better than the 3 series and will be looking at Lexus when he gets rid of his 5 series.

Its just PLAIN JEALOUSY :P

Look at the recent Car reliability surveys, Lexus always beats the BMW & MERCS :lol:

I know a bloke who has sold his BMW to buy a Renault! Now, what about that !!!! :D :D :D

My mates at work all think I am a gangster selling drugs in my IS, they keep asking me where I store me stash :ph34r:

I have found that most people are more than impressed when I say I own a Lexus, they normally say "your paid too much"....

One of my bro's has a Beemer, another has a Merc, Bro in law to be has a STI Scooby, but its my IS that turns heads and everyone wants to go for a spin in B)

G Unit :zee:

that makes me laugh, poor man's bmw, how many lexus is200s have beema style lights :D

for me it was between a bimma coupe and the is200. there are far less IS on the road and i liked the look and feel of it. as mentioned above, even if it was badged as a toyota, id still buy one, especially after owning a couple of corollas.

when people ask me what i drive, i dont like to brag, i simply say, i drive another toyota then wink :D