Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Can I Keep The Rear Clean?

Good Morning!

Since i've had my car the rear (bumper and boot) get dirty as soon as I start the engine up. After a 10 minute drive the bumper is covered (so you could write in it) in black powdery crap!

Presumably its all coming from the exhaust so what can I do to get rid of it? Does one of the pipes need replacing or something?

I thought it was the back box that was just really dirty but its the same since I've had the hiper fitted.

Is this a common problem? Never experienced this with any other car I have owned (all three of them!)

Colin

Black oily type dust, could be either an oil leak or the engine burning oil , as the exhaust gas exits the tail pipe it swirls round in the turbulance and sticks to the body work ;) , is the tail pipe oily ? .

doesnt seem to be from what I remember, i'll go and check now and report back! The hiper has only been on for around a thousand miles i'd say.

Oh i've never seen any oil on the driveway either if that makes a difference?

It shouldn't run with a cloud of soot, it isn't a diesel ;)

Have you checked if the air filter isn't clogged with dirt/dust? The IS shouln't belch black smoke, in fact mine hardly produces any soot on the inside of the tailpipe.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

It shouldn't run with a cloud of soot, it isn't a diesel ;)

Have you checked if the air filter isn't clogged with dirt/dust? The IS shouln't belch black smoke, in fact mine hardly produces any soot on the inside of the tailpipe.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I have an induction kit which hasnt been on that long so i dont have the standard air box anymore.

I noticed a lot of black bits around the back of mine when I first got it (Plat Ice). I found that keeping the car well polished reduced the problem quite a bit. (I did wonder if some of it was brake dust?)

My exhaust is quite black inside - think this is normal, also I believe IS's run fairly rich, from other comments I have seen here.

I noticed a lot of black bits around the back of mine when I first got it (Plat Ice). I found that keeping the car well polished reduced the problem quite a bit. (I did wonder if some of it was brake dust?)

My exhaust is quite black inside - think this is normal, also I believe IS's run fairly rich, from other comments I have seen here.

makes sense I suppose! It does get a weekly wash. I wouldnt be suprised if some of it was brake dust!

Mine was cleaned four days ago and the back end is now minging!

The mud flaps sort out the sides big time but there's nothing for the rear end - are you driving on lots of wet roads as I've noticed mine get's filthy if I just drive through a puddle.

the mudflaps def. help.

Today was obviously really sunny and dont think I drove over any water at all and its still covered in black stuff. I suppose i'll just have to live with it and ask about it at my next service just to be sure.

from what i have seen the rear of the IS produces quite a lot of rough air due to the flat back and because of this "rough air" a whirlpool type of effect is generated at the rear of the car causing lots of dirt to be deposited on the boot/bumper area- i think that because u have a white car it is far more noticable, as for the exhaust tip mine has always been black on the inside - if it hasnt any black/brownish/grey etc deposits then the engine doesnt run!