Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems Fitting Trd Roll Bars

Well I had problems fitting the TRD Roll Bars today.

the problem was the nut that attaches the roll bar to the other bar that attaches to the upright on the front wheels. Couldnt undo the nut with the allen key hole in the middle, I guess 5 years has corrorded it up well and the inside of the allen key rounded off :(

now i dont think there's any chance of getting it off, does anyone have the part numbers handy for the parts needed?

the bit that looks like ()--()

oooh yes that one

its blooming tight :o

i used a socket set, and a lot of puff , to first loosen it untill the shaft bit starts rotating then used a spanner with the allen key

obvious question but have you given it a drop of 3 in 1 :whistling:

squited some WD40 on it and let it soak in for 30 mins or so

the whole nut (mmmmm chocolate........) is free to rotate but the bit in the middle rotates with it

so I got the Allen Key 5mm in there and used a bar for extra lever power but the allen key ended up rounding off the hole. then I hammered in a torc bit with splines and used that much presure trying to undo the nut that the torc splines twisted I dont think the nut is ever going to come off.

squited some WD40 on it and let it soak in for 30 mins or so

the whole nut (mmmmm chocolate........) is free to rotate but the bit in the middle rotates with it

so I got the Allen Key 5mm in there and used a bar for extra lever power but the allen key ended up rounding off the hole. then I hammered in a torc bit with splines and used that much presure trying to undo the nut that the torc splines twisted I dont think the nut is ever going to come off.

:crybaby:

better have word with mr shipperly ;)

thanks Duncan

but if i got the nut off, I'd still have no way to tighten up the new one as the inside of the bolt is rounded off

I think the only solution is a new part :(

what about using the next sixe up allen bit (not the L shaped allen key),, and happering it in so its wedged, then undo it..

or perhaps a flat screwdriver bit (not a screwdriver) and again hammer this in so it effectivly cuts its own slot, then get a ratchet on it..

I tried that with a Spline torc bit

but it just started to bend the bit, it didnt slip

but well its not coming off by the looks of it :(

maybe some heat would help?

how much is the new link brettser as I will be doing mine soonish and am expecting similar problems?

I was lookin at getting new caliper slider bolts, £6 for bottom one and £30 for top one.

I was shocked to say the least (even the parts guy couldn't believe it either)

how much is the new link brettser as I will be doing mine soonish and am expecting similar problems?

I was lookin at getting new caliper slider bolts, £6 for bottom one and £30 for top one.

I was shocked to say the least (even the parts guy couldn't believe it either)

was that for the actual slider??