Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will My Warranty Cover . . .

I have a 2001 IS 200 SE Auto – I bought it Lexus approved from the Nottingham dealership recently.

The original manufacturers warranty expired January 2004 but I bought it with one year warranty in April so it is covered until April 2005. I'm not sure if the warranty you get with an approved car is the same as the warrantry with a new car (I guess it probably has less cover although I don't know what exactly).

Anyway I have noticed 3 little problems with the car but I’m not sure if they would be covered under the warranty or not and would appreciate your advice.

1. The front off side wing has discoloured (the car is black) it looks like the sun has ‘bleached’ it – patches of the wing are a brown colour but it is all below the surface – i.e. it won’t just polish out. It can only be seen in bright direct light but now I know it's there it's annoying.

2. The front near side fog light has got permanent condensation inside and the light housing and bulb are starting to corrode. The front offside sometimes has condensation inside but corrosion has not yet set in.

3. The steering wheel is slightly out to the left – although the car does drive and brake straight – I have has the alignment checked and found it to be OK – can the wheel just be slightly adjusted ? It just needs moving a slight fraction to the right.

So . . . are these faults common and covered under warranty – if they are not warranty items anyone care to indicate likely cost.

Thanx.

Used car warranty is not the same as the manufacturers warranty although still very good.

1 - What have you used to polish it out? It may just be under the wax, e.g. somebody not removing all the polish before applying wax.

2- Should be covered unless the light/lens has been damaged e.g. stone made hole in lens.

3 - You would be unlikely to get this under any warranty unless the car was delivered like it. Basically the tracking has been adjusted without the steering wheel being correctly centered.

Steering Wheel of center adjustment. Don't know if it fits a newer IS. But you can have it a try. It seems to be easy.

LINK.pdf

For all Service Bulletins enter this side LINK and do a search on is300.

Brilliant - many thanks.

where did you get these bulletins from ?

Right bit of an update.

Took the car to my local Lex dealer to look at the blotchy wing, misted fog light and off centre steering wheel.

Fog light - no problem warranty issue just need to book in :yahoo:

Steering wheel - can be done but chargeable - about £60 . hmmmmm.

Wing . . wait for it . . reckons it looks like a respray / repair not done by Lex WTF. Bought this car just a month a go from main Lex dealer. My local guy noticed some over spray inside and also what looks like a small line of filler showing through WTF AGAIN !

So . . contacted selling dealer - to be fair I was dealt with straight away by the top man - he can't explain it, all cars are RAC checked etc etc. Anyway wants me to get it to a dealer in his group (bit hassle) if they then confirm it is a repair I can either get it fixed or change the car for another - good.

If I decide to change it we haven't yet got into the value of my car - my view is that yes I've put miles on it and another owner but I am changing because it was not what it seemed - so I should get a 'value' of what I paid for it.

BTW - Mrs SMW is saying get the full value back and add to it for a brand new one (tempting have to say).

he can't explain it, all cars are RAC checked etc etc.

Having stood by while one of these RAC checks is done, i'd say it's worthless.

Car was in showroom. Dealership manager had a word with RAC man.

Said they had 'prepped' the car and didn't really want to move it.

RAC man walked round car, sat inside, completed paperwork and left.

Now i'm not saying this is typical, but having seen this,

in my mind an RAC check is now logged as purely a paperwork exercise.

Could go some way to explain your problem though :blink:

Having stood by while one of these RAC checks is done, i'd say it's worthless.

Car was in showroom. Dealership manager had a word with RAC man.

Said they had 'prepped' the car and didn't really want to move it.

RAC man walked round car, sat inside, completed paperwork and left.

I agree. My IS200 came from a dealer and was sold with an RAC Inspection (I have the little certificate to prove it).

The car needed a new clutch master cylinder just after I bought it (replaced under warranty thank goodness). This is the sort of thing I would have thought an RAC Inspection would have shown up straight away.

Agree. Pick one up a week ago and had to take it back. Car pulls to oneside, Boot lid does not open from inside, gear knob peels off and sticks in my palm

Well it's a shame it has come to this.

The dealer who sold me a car for £12950 a month ago will only give me £10500 towards an exchange car. This is despite the car they sold me having a repair to the wing and an e mail from Lex GB confirming that cars poorly repaired will not be in the Lexus approved programme.

I gave the dealer until 6pm tonight to reconsider and he hasn't even bothered to respond.

I have therefore issued a claim against them for £2450 plus £130 costs in the small claims court. the summons should be served on them within the next 5 days and they have 14 days to respond.

I'll update ya . . . .

The dealer who sold me a car for £12950 a month ago will only give me £10500 towards an exchange car. This is despite the car they sold me having a repair to the wing and an e mail from Lex GB confirming that cars poorly repaired will not be in the Lexus approved programme.

That's odd. I thought lexus ran an exchange scheme for used cars ?

What a bunch of R S wipes :angry:

I was just outside the 30 day exchange - by 1 day - point is though should never have been an approved car.

I have even agreed to reduce it's value slightly due to the miles I have put on it - I'm suggesting £300 - so I paid £12950 and want £12650 against another car or a refund.

Dealer still saying £10 500. Ho hum.

Would have thought as long as you reported the problems to a Lexus Dealer within 30 days then they should oblige and offer an exchange. If they are refusing then all they should charge you is a reduction for your mileage which you should hase on approved AA / RAC / IR rate.

I have found Lexus Customer Services not very helpful, your contract of course was with the dealer so you are right to go for them.

Any publicity here or elsewhere won't be good for them.

I think the foglight resolution is fine, out of line steering whell they should have noticed before delivery ( unless of course you have hit a kerb or had the tracking done ) .......... paintwork repair no excuse.

I would get an idependent report on the paintwork and submit this to the Small Claims as evidence.

Thats the spirit, stand up for yourself, sue em.

It happened to me a few years back. My "one owner from new" car turned out to be a ringer! Sued em big time.

It is all too common nowadays for dealers to pull a fast one to sell a car. The used car market is massive, and competition is harsh, so they will do practically anything to shift a motor.

If you buy something, you expect it to be right, whether it is a packet of screws or a 13 grand car.

Good luck mate, keep your chin up and dont let em grind you down or fobb you off with excuses.

A mate of mine was robbed by a used car dealer, so he set about printing off a load of posters which he stuck on the fence of the dealer and he lost loads of trade! nice one.