Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Prices

Cheds

Ive just had this emailed to me what does everyone think maybe worth doing....

:driving:

Campaign to Reduce UK Petrol Prices - a rip-off at 80p a litre

Petrol prices are once again on the rise... Looks like we're going to hit close to 89p a litre in some places by the summer. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day"

campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action: It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)

The theory behind it is sound, but i don't think it'll make much difference, as the public will basically just buy the fuel from the nearest petrol station won't they?

I'm sure i saw this a while back, and thought it was being 'operated'. Obviously didn't have much of an impact if it was! :P

Anyone actually gonna do this?

Stu :driving:

It's not as straightforward as all that. I'm no expert but....

There are only a handful of oil refineries (6-10?) in britain. (I used to work for Lindsey Oil Refinery near Grimsby.) Most of the petrol stations in an area will get their petrol from the nearest refinery. eg LOR was/is? jointly owned by Total and Fina but would have supplied Esso, BP etc petrol stations in the area too. I think some companies like BP take the petrol to their own depot first and add their own additives.

I also used to work at a BP petrol station as a student, except it was owned by the Coop as it was at a Coop superstore and so I guess was some sort of franchised outlet.

So if you stop buying BP petrol you hit the profits of the petrol station owner (which may not be BP) and the refinery (which may not BP) and I guess to a limited extent also the company that you think you are targetting (BP) as the middleman. The thing is the oil companies don't make a lot of profit from selling petrol itself. They sell a lot of other stuff, eg heavy oil to power stations etc. A lot of profit is made from refining and selling oil to other oil companies, eg the case of LOR above, and you don't know who refined the petrol you are buying. They also tradie crude oil, eg they buy crude in Amsterdam and then while it's on route to their refinery sell it to another oil company for a profit.

Can anyone more in the know correct any of the above?

I think it's more the fault of the greedy goverment taxation,they are the ones who

rake in massive amounts of revenue.

:angry:

If they can afford a war and twenty thousad asylum seekers,they can afford to reduce the tax on fuel . :angry:

I think i heard of something like this happening in the states. (Could be wrong)

But being that all these companies rule the US in the long run, i guess it would have a greater impact over there.

Would not buying from BP/Esso cause the UK Government to actually stop ignoring the motorist and using them as an excuse to generate money?

I know we pay something stupid like 85% TAX, and i totally dissagree that using public transport is the answer. (1 bus causes more pollution than 20+ cars anyway)

I dont use BP anyway, as round my way its the dearest. :P