Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Speed Cameras

ifraz

I read this on another forum:

By Simon de Bruxelles

POLICE are preparing to unveil the latest weapon in their campaign against speeding drivers — a handheld laser camera with a range of more than a mile. The device, which can be operated just as easily from behind a bush as from the back of a van, can detect a speeding car long before the driver has a chance to spot the police officer wielding it. A high-quality video camera will simultaneously record the licence plate and a picture of the driver so that there can be no argument about who was behind the wheel.

The £8,000 ProLaser III camera is designed to prevent drivers evading penalties by slowing down for roadside cameras then speeding up afterwards.

In many areas the cameras will not require warning signs telling motorists where they are. The cameras have the potential to raise millions of pounds and lead to thousands of drivers losing their licences. Dorset will be one of the first counties to introduce the ProLaser III next month.

The policeman who operates the camera can stand on the road and point it at a car up to 2,000 metres away. The laser is then projected on to the vehicle and it bounces back to the camera, where the speed is recorded.

The video in the camera then records the numberplate and the driver and the notice of impending conviction is sent through the post in the normal way.

The Dorset Safety Camera Partnership says that the device is designed to save lives, not raise revenue. But the Police Federation is concerned that public confidence in the police is being eroded. Clive Chamberlain, the federation’s Dorset representative, said: “One of our primary objectives should be to provide public reassurance by high-visibility policing. I don’t know how much the introduction of an even more covert camera will do towards enhancing this objective.”

Johnny Stephens, project manager for the Dorset Safety Camera Partnership, said that his overriding priority was to reduce the number of casualties on Dorset’s roads. “We know that some members of the public race towards cameras and then break hard as they pass. This new technology will assist the partnership in stopping this very dangerous practice,” he said.

Paul Smith, from the campaign group Safe Speed, insisted that speed cameras are making roads more dangerous “because drivers are looking for speed cameras, not road hazards.”

Edmund King, of the RAC Foundation, agreed. “Recent research from the Department for Transport on the cause of accidents showed that excessive speed was number seven in importance. Number one was inattention, which might be drivers looking for speed cameras.”

I think we are all unanimous on the thought that speed cameras are a good idea near Schools hospitals, accident blackspots, children play areas etc, but having these kinds of cameras which can catch you up to a mile away seems wrong. :(

To be caught by one of these laser guns from up to a mile away the camera operator must have a clear line of sight. I don't know of any straight roads (min 1 mile) in or outside built up areas in Nottingham that are dangerous enough to warrant the need for a speed camera.

In many areas the cameras will not require warning signs telling motorists where they are.

Has the Law changed? :crybaby:

ahhh Ifraz, because this is a 'hand-held' Laser, this does not fall into the 'camera' bracket.. its in the laser gun bracket, and it means it is (supposedly) random...

I know my feelings on this, and isnt it funny that it conicides with the '2-4 points' plan...

Keeer-Ching...

On the way in to Guildford there is a nice straight road with a dip.... Bet there will be one there more often than not!

Sadly its all about funding and profit :zorro: (couldn't find a cowboy smiley! :lol: )

Thought the laser spread over distance - this must have one very accurate beam for a one mile range ...

why does it have to be bloody dorset :crybaby::crybaby:

they are right gits round here i tell you... I love doing the hand gesture to them too!

lets hope my B2 will detect them!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links