Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Petrol Prices

OK,

Heres what we do.

Publicise that fact that unless the Tax rate on petrol is reduced by 30% evryone opposed to this rate of tax will vote against Labour at the local/metropolitan & euro elections happening shortly.

That will get it changed :ph34r:

Yeah, so we all vote against labour and the tories get in who increase the fuel tax anyway (I didn't notice any tory politician objecting to the price increases or suggesting an alternative last time this was an issue).

Our "war" in Iraq has to be paid for somehow.

If it did work then income tax would go up, or the Gov would have to make even more cost cuts, or something equally nasty - we would still end up losing out.

In some ways I'm in favour of petrol prices going up - it might reduce the number of cars on the road (yeah right!).

Yeah, so we all vote against labour and the tories get in who increase the fuel tax anyway (I didn't notice any tory politician objecting to the price increases or suggesting an alternative last time this was an issue).

Our "war" in Iraq has to be paid for somehow.

this is not a general election !

thats the idea of doing it know its the local/european elections

you could vote for whoever came second last time (lib-dem/green etc)

But my point is, unless there's a political party who specifically mention reducing petrol tax in their manifesto then it won't make any difference who you vote for, either now or when we have an election.

Least this way notice is served that people will vote for a party which taxes motorists at a reasonable level...

Just like all the demonstrations that took place a couple of years ago about petrol prices... the gov reduced the price for a few weeks (by a penny a litre wasn't it?) and then put it up again when everything went quiet!

That didn't really achieve much did it.

It's like the anti-war demonstrators, the people chucking flour filled condoms at the PM, etc etc etc. Have they any real influence in changing policies? I doubt it, but at least they try! Personally I think most political parties will be brought into something if they think it's a vote winner.

It's like the anti-war demonstrators, the people chucking flour filled condoms at the PM, etc etc etc. Have they any real influence in changing policies? I doubt it, but at least they try! Personally I think most political parties will be brought into something if they think it's a vote winner.

precisely my point.

as long as the silent majority stay silent the Govt will do exactly what they want with little or no regard to us.

we all moan...........

would be amusing to say the least to watch them backtrack

But my point is, unless there's a political party who specifically mention reducing petrol tax in their manifesto then it won't make any difference who you vote for, either now or when we have an election.

Doesn't really matter what they put in the manifesto. The current government broke most of what it said.

and even if they did honour that policy (IF) - then taxes would be raised somewhere else.

The government simply can't do without a revenue stream like this.

so - we'd all vote for "We'll lower fuel tax" Party, who lower fuel tax, and increase NI or such.

thats assuming that the "we'll lower fuel tax" would actually have the bottle to introduce such a direct form of taxation.

more likely they would follow this government's stealth tax techniques, and apply a series of less public taxation changes to make sure they still got the money off us. :tsktsk:

well having spent an evening with our own Mat C

and heard his views on the goverment issues

and what he would do if he was in charge

i think the best way forward is to:

vote Mat C as prime minister

.............and stop drinking so much :lol::lol: