Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leather Care

Hi,

This is my first car with leather, and considering the blazing sunshine out here, I'm keen to take care of it.

I'm bought the requisite Meguiars for the outside, but notice Meguiars also have products for looking after the leather too.

There's a choice of Gold Class Rich Leather wipes, foam and aloe enriched cleaner and conditioner.

Does anyone have any experience of these products?

How often should I treat the leather?

The leather is my car is black and I don't want to discolour it with the wrong product, or damage its durability.

Thanks,

Nige

I only use the conditioner - mine is a 99 car and the leather didn't seem bad enough to need the cleaner - a guy at work who's into TVR's, old Jags and classics put me onto it and it is the best product he has found over the years - if you find it on the shelf (as opposed to mail order) try smelling it first - I love the smell but it is quite strong for a couple of days ...

Hi,

This is my first car with leather, and considering the blazing sunshine out here, I'm keen to take care of it.

I'm bought the requisite Meguiars for the outside, but notice Meguiars also have products for looking after the leather too.

There's a choice of Gold Class Rich Leather wipes, foam and aloe enriched cleaner and conditioner.

Does anyone have any experience of these products?

How often should I treat the leather?

The leather is my car is black and I don't want to discolour it with the wrong product, or damage its durability.

Thanks,

Nige

My favorite is IZ Ledgerpleadege(Leathercare). Doesn't leave finish shiney or slippery. You can find it in www.lexuscarcare.com as well as articles taht teach you which leather products should be used for various seats or upholstery. Download the ebook on car detailing to get this information

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Is200 leather have a protective coating?

Ive just bought Mergiuars Gold Class Leather and Conditioner, but after reading this on the Autopia carcare website below:

There are many different leather cleaners and conditioners available. Be sure to select a leather cleaner and conditioner appropriate for your leather upholstery. Modern leather upholstery is protected with a thin vinyl coating, whereas classic leather interiors are not. Do not use a product designed for uncoated leather on a coated leather finish, as it may quickly ruin the protective coating.

Is Mergiuars Gold Class cleaner and Conditioner safe to use on IS200 Leather?

:lol: Also, don't forget, when parking in the sun (try and find shade!) to put up a front (and back if poss) screen cover (or whatever they're called; the things with Swiss mountain scenes printed on, or pics of people lounging on beaches...perhaps we should sponsor a Club one?)

I used to use Neets Foot oil on an old MG Magnette seats 25 years ago.....it's classic leather workers stuff; conditions and softens leather. But IS rather sticky until it's well soaked in! You have to leave it for a couple of days and then polish.How about Connolly leather Hide food too?

But need an answer to this 'Plastic coating' puzzle though. I thought I had LEATHER seats, not Plastic covered!!