Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:o What size tyres? I always felt that comfort (which iis a major reason for having a limo like ours?) would suffer. Interested to hear about the change and how it feels. I had 35 profile tyres on a BMW 850 and it was awful, except at motorway speeds (and the Lexus is steady as a rock at 125, so no problem there!!)

That 430 is like a different car somehow, isn't it? Wouldn't like to leave it on the street at night! My Graphite grey 400 doesn't attract attention in that way!

• 2 weeks later...

I need new tyres all round on my 1994 LS400 and thought about the possibility of replacing the alloys at the same time - corrosion is starting to set in!

I visited Motor World this morning to enquire - they stock wheels from many manufacturers and do wheel and tyre packages (I know I will need to replace tyres prematurely as they will not be top notch, but this is OK).

They suggested fitting 17" alloys to replace the 16" OEMs - on the basis that the tyres would be more common and therefore cheaper.

I don't want to go to 18" or above and sacrifice ride quality.

They tell me that they only sell one wheel out of their whole range which will fit as the brake calipers are unusually huge on the LS.

The cost would be in excess of £1000.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Anyone else using 17" wheels?

Where did you find them?

How much?

Cheers!

Martin

The dynamic handling pack only increases the rims from 16" to 17". But bear in mind that this also has a slight lowering so 18"+ without too much damage to the ride might be possible if you want better handling.

Personally, I wouldn't damage a smooth ride. I like the way I can do 600 miles and get out fresh as a daisy and the way the ride is silent on the standard rims and tyres. Also, I know Lexus spend a lot of effort getting the resonant frequency of the supsension right.

Dude,

Are you unhappy with the current wheels? Why not just get them refurbished? There is a thread somewhere on the site at the moment talking about how much it costs (between 30 and 50 quid a wheel).

Just like Flotsam says, Lexus spent a lot of money researching and designing the car to work with the factory spec wheel and tyre setup. I have original spec of 15 inchers on my old car, and I love the smooth ride, totally relaxing on long trips.

From my own experiences, if you want a large car that has the best handling, you choose a 7 series with the Sport pack.

Saying that, why would anyone spend money to go from 16" to 17"?

If you really want to spend your hard earned cash on new wheels, go for 18" or 19".

I have got original Lexus 17" wheels on my car. They were apparantly an option on the GS300 and LS400 (I still have the original Lexus fitment sheets for the rims!) They are manufactured by OZ (a very good quality alloy wheel manufacturer) on behalf of Lexus. They are 8J wide (8") and I have got details of the offset on the sheet at home. Like most people with older japanese alloy wheels my original wheel were starting to look tatty, due to corrosion. These wheels I have more faith in lasting, plus they make the car look a lot nicer (in my opinion). They are of a six-spoke design, with a fairly flat face and suit this type of car well. I managed to buy all four wheels, brand new and boxed, with twenty brand new lexus wheel bolts and four Lexus centre caps for £400. Apparantly they are a fortune to buy from the dealerships, so I think it pays to keep an eye out on places like eBay (where I got mine from). If you think you are going to save money by changing to a 17" rim, then think again! I was getting quotes of £800+ for a set of four tyres for these wheels, but after several days (and I do mean days!) I managed to get a set of four Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 225/55/17s, (Extra Load type) for £540 fitted, balanced/valves etc. It definately pays to shop around. Shortly afterwards I have managed to pick up another identical brand new rim, boxed etc from the same place for about £80, so I now have a full set of 5x original Lexus wheels.

So to cut a long story short, shop around! :)

Cheers,

Will

• 3 weeks later...
I need new tyres all round on my 1994 LS400 and thought about the possibility of replacing the alloys at the same time - corrosion is starting to set in!

I visited Motor World this morning to enquire - they stock wheels from many manufacturers and do wheel and tyre packages (I know I will need to replace tyres prematurely as they will not be top notch, but this is OK).

They suggested fitting 17" alloys to replace the 16" OEMs - on the basis that the tyres would be more common and therefore cheaper.

I don't want to go to 18" or above and sacrifice ride quality.

They tell me that they only sell one wheel out of their whole range which will fit as the brake calipers are unusually huge on the LS.

The cost would be in excess of £1000.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Anyone else using 17" wheels?

Where did you find them?

How much?

Cheers!

Martin

B) I;m having my spare set of Series 3 wheels (16 inch) refurbished soon, so, if you're not in a hurry, you can have the spare old set when I have. Will only be about £75 for all 5, plus fetching from Bristol. Add £50 per wheel for re-finishing and....say £300 altogether. Comfort AND smart too.

Call me on 0117 9824228...or answer here. :zee:

I own a LS.  I have been told it needs some new wheels. 

Has anyone fitted 20`s to a LS?

If not 18`s?

Not LS 400 but LS 430 can fit F 9J +37 245/35-20 R 9.5J +38 275/30-20 or 10J +37 285/30-20.

If 18's F 8.5J +33 245/45-18 R 9.5J +37 275/35-18.

I think best choice is 19's!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your help on this one geezers.

Tryed a set of GS MKII 17` 5 Spokes on her the other day.

Not big enough.  The arches swallowed up the wheels proper.

Looking at those I think I need 20`s.

I will fit 20's tomorrow. I will send photo's of difference of 18's and 20's if I can post anywhere on this site.