Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carputer Project

Well now that i finally had all the parts required, i thought i would make a start on the install..

I Planned to install the motherboard and hard disk in the boot, i settled on sticking it all in the tool tray area in that deep pocket that sits in the spare wheel area..

First i made a base to give me a flat surface to mount the components too.....Here

Then i made a top to enclose the PC in, this sits flush with the top of the tool tray.....Here

I then fitted 3 legs to add some extra support and to align the top and bottom bases....Here

Then i went about fitting the motherboard, hard disk and a fan.......Here

Mow that is left to do is run some cables for power and the 7" touchscreen, also have to mount the the PSU module, which again will be in the boot and cover the wood with something..

more pics to come..

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you planning on having a DVD rom drive up front?

if so you have to be very careful with cable lengths.

Looking very neet tho :)

mine all fit in the glove box, but there's no room for anything else in there hehe :)

thanks for the comments..

brett, yes i got a slimline CDRW/DVD drive to go up front and yes ive already thought of the cable length issue..

Solved by getting getting an IDE to USB adaptor then it means i can run easy 3-4 metres with no data loss problems..

Im looking at mounting the drive under the arm rest.. with the screen under the stereo,, this will cover the seat heat buttons and TRC but the screen will be velcro mounted for easy removal at night so i can still get to the buttons if needed.

Im also gona be doing a little trick install,, something using perspex and leds etc..

Great idea, just a couple of questions:

1. What are you going to use to make the PSU compatable with the car's DC Battery?

2. How are you going to connect the screen to the computer? A normal D sub video cable? Or does the video card have RGB outs?

3. Is it going to be hooked into your sound system at all? If so, will you be sticking with the stock system or upgrading the HU, amp, spearkers, etc?

Thanks, and good work! :D

Great idea, just a couple of questions:

1. What are you going to use to make the PSU compatable with the car's DC battery?

2. How are you going to connect the screen to the computer? A normal D sub video cable? Or does the video card have RGB outs?

3. Is it going to be hooked into your sound system at all? If so, will you be sticking with the stock system or upgrading the HU, amp, spearkers, etc?

Thanks, and good work! :D

1. What are you going to use to make the PSU compatable with the car's DC Battery?

I have used an Opus 90W supply with integrated contolled PC shutdown.here

screen from here it can take both inputs.

i plan to hook it up intothe sound system, NOT by an fm modulator, i have modded the stock amp with an RCA output onthe full range rear speaker outputs, this will plug into my aftermarket amps and run the system.. as for input ive also added some RCA's to the input side of the stock amp, dont know if this wil work, if not then i will add RCA to the back of the stereo loom and switch it via a err well switch..

Added the 4 port USB hub,, tuckaed away behind the glove box, but still accesable if i really needed....Here

and a picture of the PSU that is now mounted on a plate to aid further moutning where i want it....Here

That really is tucked away Paul :)

the 90W Psu is superb, I've left my pc in standby for 4 days running without using the car and had no problems at all :)

PC starts up again in 2 seconds.

Only problem i've had is that the Touchscreen drivers prevent the PC going into standby mode if its all connected and powered, solution was new Beta drivers for the touchscreen. all working sweet now, powering the TFT from the Opus.

bret.. thanks for the info man,, i remember that when i do the wiring..

junior.. yep that where i got a lot of info from..

carlos.. i got my screen from cartft.

kavey.. its going in the space below the radio (in front of the TRC button etc) and angles down and out so the screen is at a 45ish degree angle. it will be held via velcro for quick removal.