Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carputer Project

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Paul

How are you finding the touchscreen for PC control? I believe it's the same as the lilliput one - http://www.allcam.biz/products/lilliputtv.html

Although the cartft one is black and better :)

I'm looking at the same screen for my secret squirrely carputer thingamibob, but I want to mount it in my dash tray somehow, even if I have to strip it and fold it down. When u next out mate - be good to catch up.

Asam

well ive heard differing things, the cartft one is an unbranded xenarc, that its a llilput,, who knows man..

well illbe at the pod this sunday, or next would be up at the ACE next month..

what about you when you about,, im intrigued about your project,, drop me a pm man.

The one I got from Car TFT is indeed an unbranded Xenarc one, its the one on the site that costs 400 euro's, not had a single problem with it and if it detects a signal on line 2 it auto switches over (handy for a reversing camera).

• 2 months later...

so i thought i would make a start on see ing how i go about putting in a stereo and my touchscreen.

idea 1 here

idea 2 here

i think i will go with #1 to be honest.

i have chopped up a double din housing to help me get an idea of what i need to fabricate..

what y'all think

nice ideas

im thinking of removing the headunit altogether, I only use it a s a volume control now anyway. fitting the screen to a double din facia and having the screen as the controller for everything.

Is there a way to use the factory amp without the headunit?

gotta be number 1.

Really interested in this I must say, reading through various sites now and pricing things up. Think i'd also go for the glovebox install.

did you list your full spec anywhere?

I posted a parts list for my project Here

and there are some more pics of how i fit it all into my glove box Here

since those photo's Ive had to change the power supply to something better im using the OPUS 90watt psu, very good for car pc's and I have changed the Hard drive to a 2.5" one for lower power and better protection from bumps etc

all looks really good but its still all pretty slow, even the P4 mini ITX boards are still pretty poor.

I was thinking about putting some games on there as well as TV, MP3 etc etc so I dont know if it really is practical for that. Might as well get a headunit, screen and PS2 in there I suppose.

I dunno, it's still pretty cool though.

the speed of the computer isnt that great I agree, but its more than enough for MP3 and DVD playback, gps etc. the power supply options needed for a high power pc in your car are not very common, add to that the problem with heat and it adds upto more problems than its worth :(

just about all the vga touch screens ive seen also have standard video inputs for other items so you could also have a ps2 connected upto the same screen for games and a mini itx for everything else :)

• 1 month later...

well finally i got my liquid plastic from the netherlands, and made a start on moulding the modified double (and a half) din panel..

Sorry i forgot to get a picture of the before state.

but here it is with the liquid plastic applied..

here

here

now i will let that harden overnight and then i need to sand down and then paint with some special texture paint..

Whats with the IS300.net lot too? I think they have a lynching party for you! Do you think they're upset cause you suceeded where they failed?

I think Lisnup65 is genuinely interested in how you did it, but Jedi just didn't seem to read your posts at all... nice work by the way mate ;)

thanks damian.. yep they truly dont beleive i have done it.. well when the 'production' unit is finished (got some boxes and potting compound coming) and i shoot a little video clip.. we shall see whats up...

yes brett, i had alsways planned to replace the headunit,, but was looking at the prospect of either extending the headunit wires so the stock unit can sit inthe boot, or stipping it down to its base board and putting that behind the dash.. but alas ive cracked it..

I really need to replace my headunit and have the screen there too, but as im still using the Tape adapter for the sound input, Im kinda of stuck with where i can put the headunit :(

Really could use one of Steve's audio input adapters (hint hint) :)

Or have you cracked that problem too???

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links