16 members have voted

1. 1. What will your next car run on?

• Petrol
    • Diesel
    • Hybrid
    • Dual-Fuel
    • Other
    • Undecided

With the recent hike in petrol prices, combined with the thirsty 6 cylinders of my IS, although previously I was anti-derv, I have been won over by the torque of an A4 2.5TDi.. so I am seriously considering a diesel for my next car...

And just wondered what others were thinking...

well having to also run a deisel,

they are ok around town and do get a fair mpg

but stick them on a motorway and you can watch the needle dropping

i think it does depend on what sort of motoring you do

each have advantages

as well as disadvantages

the best combination is the turbo deisel

but then you might as well have a petrol

:)

Diesel is cheaper at the pump because it's s'sposedly 'green', so there's a public demand for diesels, but the public also want performance, so the manufacturers develop high performance diesel engines, these engines have equivalent fuel consumption to petrol engines when exploited (even if they sound like a tractor), but then the government spots that it's policy has worked and everyone has switched to diesels, but now its tax income is falling, so the diesel price is hiked to bring back the status quo, except everyone has been suckered into converting to diesels :duh:

I'd rather the car companies invested the R&D into getting more efficient petrol engines or hybrids. Think of the progress that could have been made if they weren't pumping money into oil burners.

Fortunately, though gas (sorry, petrol) prices are rising here in the US, it's still much cheaper than the UK, and diesel cars are thankfully rare.

My next car will be petrol, BTW, maybe a gas-guzzling Hummer :winky:

Nige

Quite an ipressive show of diesels at the motor show. Companies are now starting to put twin turbos on diesels. Jaguar and Vauxhall are the ones that I saw. The Vectra was impressive, with about 220Bhp and 400Nm Torque, which does 0-60 in 6.5!! Only concept at the moment though.

well having to also run a deisel,

they are ok around town and do get a fair mpg

but stick them on a motorway and you can watch the needle dropping

Mine's at its best on the motorway, returns 40+ mpg at 80-90mph and the engine is silent.

Around town mpg is worse and you can hear its a diesel.