Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Open Road Day

For my sins I've been invited (and am going) to a Lexus Open Road day next Tuesday at Kimberley House in Norfolk.

1) Is anyone else going so we can say..well, dunno really.

2) Not having been on one of these before, what kind of thing can I expect? Do you get more than three minutes in the cars?

I went to one near Reading last month. They had 35 cars, of all models. You register, say which cars you want to drive and then drive them, unaccompanied. For the popular models like SC430 it's best to go for them immediately otherwise even if you've put your name down, there's lots of waiting around when you get back from the previous drive.

There was a 12 mile circuit on the public roads, marked by yellow signs at the junctions - varied from small country lanes to dual carriageway. There was also an off road circuit for the RX-300, which was great fun, especially as it had rained solidly all the previous night.

I drove 4 cars, for about 20-30mins each: RX-300, LS430, GS430 Sport, IS300.

Highly recommended!

Peter

I went last year and have just booked in for the 17 June at Guildford - really is worth going ... :P

Well, went to the open road day in Norfolk yesterday.

It was VERY well organised and a lot of fun. I was surprised at how many cars were availble - about 6 or 7 of each model, so plenty to choose from. We were the first there (don't ask), so went out in an SC, then an LS, an IS300 and then a GS430 sport. In between times we got fed toastie things with posh stuff on (dunno what it was) and ginger pop, which I did understand.

We both liked the SC, I liked the LS best (bejeepers that thing can go, 120, me?), she liked the IS300 best, and we both didn't take so much to the GS, which is ironic as I drive a GS at the minute!

But the opportunity to drive all this kit unaccompanied was great, and if anyone gets an invite to another one then move hell and high water to go.

The only fly was the wait for the GS430 - each drive is 12 miles around a varied road circuit. Allegedly. Someone took the car for two hours! Dunno where he went but I had it next and he'd put 85 miles on the clock! That's either serious lostedness or he took it for a business meeting to impress someone. And all the Lexus guys had gone pale and shaky with words like "nicked" and "tracker" being whispered in dark corners.

I have of course NO intention of buying an SC - but then Mrs Dipstick pulled her trademark "me want" smile out, as you may be able to see if I've done this right. And my heart is not made of stone...

101_0110_IMG.thumb.jpg

Went to the Knebworth one today... tons of fun, especially the RX on the off-road course! I didn't stick to the prescibed course tho :whistling: that electronic suspension raising thing is waaay cool too! :)

The quality of the nibbles was pretty good too, I think I spent too much time at the refreshments buffet tho as the Lexus staff were giving me very dissapproving looks!!!

oh, and I stole a posh Lexus pen. (it was an accident honestly!) :ph34r:

Going to the Lexus Brighton event in East Grinstead this Wednesday - that'll be my third Open Road in as many years. Just so happens I'm (ahem) working at home that day :whistling::shifty:

Took the new RX offroad at last years event, was a really rough course with lots of narrow bits between hedges. All eight RX's were scratched to bits!!

Three invites in three years - have you bought a new Lex in that time? Just wondered if I'll ever get invited again, as it's damn unlikely I'll be buying new in the next year or so, short of 6 numbers on Saturday night.

Have bought two new Lex's - one in 2002 and one in 2003. However I keep in touch with the staff there, pop in for coffee and chats.... errr, grovel basically! :winky: