Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Camcorder?

Hi,

In the market for a new camcorder and wanted to knwo what format should I be looking at?

I fancy the dvd formats from sony (dvd-r dvd-rw) or panasonic/hitachi dvd-r/dvd-ram formats, but which one and why?

Or even a cheaper miniDV one?

Help?

This guy does a (sort of) comparison between the two...

MiniDV v DVD

Personally, I prefer MiniDV, but then I like to faff about with all the post-production, special effect stuff, which I do using iMovie and iDVD on my mac.

well I wont be editing much, but I had a sony camcorder mini DV one (can't remember model number) but I found it began chewing tapes and sending out an error message. Thats one of my reasons why I want to move away from tapes.

Which miniDV camcorder would you recommend? I have a shed load of sony memory sticks so maybe stick with sony?

I've had my Sony handycam about six months and I've been pleased with it. It has a touch screen LCD view finder which is great as it saves messing around with loads of button combinations. It will evan focus where you point your finger on the screen - and the screen doesn't smear with fingerprints.

Can't remember the model but i'll post when I get home. However, things have moved on since I bought mine and I would recommend a read of some of the camcorder mags to compare features, prices etc.

I've never been too impressed with Sony equipment but my brother in-law was very impressed with his Sony so I got the same model. It's a Sony DCR-TRV33 and costs around £500 although I think it's no longer a current model.

I got mine from amazon but I don't think they do it anymore. Had a quick look on pricerunner.co.uk and there are people still selling it.

The replacement model is the Sony DCRHC40E which is also around £500.

One thing to remember is Sony don't supply a blank tape with it, only a memory stick, so make sure you get one otherwise you cannot test it fully.

The TRV33 is still around - I've got a couple in my shop!

The HC40 is basically the same, just a bit smaller, but the TRV33 is a good size anyway so shouldn't matter much as its a bit cheaper!

The DVD cams are great just to film and playback on your DVD player, but for editing, DV is still the best. The new DVD cams are a lot smaller than last years - not much bigger than DV cams now.

DVD cams record pics onto DVD so they don't use memory sticks anyway.

ok thanks guys.

I think Im going for DV might be a canon one or a panasonic one. The sony ones have a lower zoom in comparison. x10 compared to x17 of the canon.

Will look at the ones mentioned too

cheers