Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speedo Conversion Kmh To Mph

DJZ

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/

I am looking to buy a speed delimeter and these guys were recommended to me. However I just want to check with all you Soarer experts that this is a good one! My fear is that the progressive power steering and other functions that adapt depending on the speed will be all out of sink with this 5/8 adjustment of the speedo.

So, who has a delimiter from Thor that can reassure me? Or can you suggest an alternative?

Many thanks in advance

Hi m8,

I myself need to do the same sometime, and have heard about problems that you mention :blush: .

There is a tried and tested delimiter/speedo converter for sale on the TIF site www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk

http://www.tifbitz.co.uk/

and it would probally be safer using their's, as i think a lot of testing andground work has been done. ;)

ALL speedo conversions cause this problem with the power steering (and suspension on V8s) and auto door locking speed ect.

Most people have it converted anyway, but I wouldn't (and haven't) if I wanted to keep the car as it was intended.

You mean you had your car delimited? Or had the delimiter off (re-limited!!)?

Its not massively obvious when you have the converted speedo of the power steering change. Just changes the points where it stiffens.

I don’t think that I have anything that complicated. I’ve never noticed the steering stiffen at any speed on the TT. I have no idea if I am delimited or relimited. And when we say speedo conversion, are we talking about something other than the black blobs covering the “k” in “kmh” that I have?

Its just that you said you had the delimiter taken off!! Do you actually mean the car is now delimited? So you can go over 112Mph?

The conersion is actually changing the speed readout from Kph to Mph. The trouble is, its that readout signal that is then sent to the ECU which controls the car!

Like I say, you can't really tell there is a difference in steering unless you are actually aware of when it stiffens. I reckon its about 30-40Kph it stiffens up a bit. So if you are converted, that would be 30-40Mph. Quite a difference!

I think it changes again at higher speeds (mway speeds).

It may well change suspension settings aswell (on V8s at least - maybe TTs with TEMS).

This could be a very interesting thread, as you always hear "this and that", but never know for sure.

These are the sort of things that are always brought up, but there is no definite answer in any of the forums.

I wondor what the Supra guys do with theirs?

It works without jeopardising the operation of peripheral systems such as Automatic Gearing, Electronic Power Steering and Active Spoiler Control.

I think you will find that this is the only company at present that have a solution for the SC430.

Maria, the Soarer mk3 (SC400 in the states, but that is different) has a digital dash. This makes it all the more difficult as the speed signal goes into the dash, and then out from the dash to the ECU. The only way I can think of to get around this is to convert the signal going to the dash, and then convert the output signal back coming from the dash into the ECU. Its not been done though and I don't know what format the output signal is.

Andy, Supra guys don't have the problem we do because of the above reason!

I think you will find that this is the only company at present that have a solution for the SC430.

Thats all very well but we are not talking about SC430's.

The V8 need two things, a Kph-Mph convertor and a speed delimiter. The TT only needs one to do both things, this maybe why the TT does not experience the same problems as the V8. Not having had a TT I cant be sure but I think this is the case. Delimiters can cause problems with gear changes over 180Kph. The one for sale on Tifbitz has apparently been tested not to give this problem. Why do you need Mph? You get used to Kph, I dont find it a problem.

Whatever you do, if the dash is converted to MPH, then it WILL change the factory points for certain things unless the signal is converted back. So power steering will be affected on all models, door lock speed will change, suspension may change, and 4WS will change on UZZ32s.

All the ones that I have heard of apart from the TIFBITZ one will also mess up the gearchange after 112Mph.

For those that don't know - as the car was never meant to go over 180Kph (112Mph), it wasn't programmed with a gearbox shift point over this speed (from 3rd to O/D (4th)). So when you delimit (and/or convert to Mph) the car will not change from 3rd to O/D over 180Kph (112Mph) at full throttle. You have to back off and let the car drop revs a bit before it will change.

As I say, the TIFBITZ one apparently doesn't have this problem but it still won't get around the other problems.

Thats all very well but we are not talking about SC430's.

The V8 need two things, a Kph-Mph convertor and a speed delimiter. The TT only needs one to do both things, this maybe why the TT does not experience the same problems as the V8. Not having had a TT I cant be sure but I think this is the case. Delimiters can cause problems with gear changes over 180Kph. The one for sale on Tifbitz has apparently been tested not to give this problem. Why do you need Mph? You get used to Kph, I dont find it a problem.

Your right about getting used to KPH, you do start to see 30mph as 48 etc, but would be nice!

Bedlam was driving my TT last night and thought mines was MPH, you wanna see his face when he thought we were doing 80mph in a very short time :P

I am a little confused. Tifbitz has an mph converter so the speedo never goes over 180, hence I can't see a problem with gear changes. I was about to just buy a delimiter to avoid affecting all of the other settings. My dad bought a Mk3 Soarer 6 years ago which already had a delimiter fitted and had no problems with gear changes over 180 kph. However I always found it rather disconserting when the speedo read out stuck on 180 kph and you were still accelerating. Its strange not knowing how fast you are actually going!

Has anyone actaully had gear change problems over 180kph on a TT with a delimiter?

Its only at full throttle. If he's not at full throttle when the car changes to 4th then it will be OK.

Or if the car is already in 4th at 180Kph then you obviously won't have a problem.

The TIFBITZ converter apparently doesn't have the gearchange problem anyway. I was just pointing out that the other things will still be affected

Can you give me some details of the delimiter please if poss. I want to delimit mine, but don't want to convert to Mph and I haven't seen anything to do this.

Go to http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/

then select 'Products & Services', then 'Electronics', then 'Top Speed Delimiters'. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page. I think I'm gonna call him and ask about the gear change...unless you want to :) You seem to know what you're talking about...well compared to me :whistling:

I've emailed him before, his names Peter Betts, he has some sort of electonics qualification. I would be very interested to know what you think before I buy :winky:

Like I said, I haven't seen any delimiters that aren't speed converters aswell, so I'm not sure about that one :)

I'm not sure how the delimiters work. It may be that they 'fool' the car into thinking that its doing less than it is. Ie. make the car think that it is doing just under 180Kph when it is actually doing more. This would cause a problem if it was done this way.

I'll ask him if I get some spare time!