Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wet Handling

Just bough a 2001 Y plate IS 200 sport and I have heard that the wet handling can be unpredictable on them.

This is the first rear wheel drive car either me or the girlfreind has owned and i am a bit apprehensive. Imean does it just step out when you make it or doe the traction control sort it all out anyway. I am not a novice driver by any means and own a Golf Vr6 for hacking around the country lanes but the rear drive is a new concept to me.

Any comments much appreciated.

I wouldn't say it's unpredictable. It is predictable that the back end will step out if you boot it around a corner in the wet. Obviously you should take it easy in the wet and never drive thinking the traction control will sort things out because it will catch you out.

Go practice in a wet car park or on a skid pan. Rear wheel drive is much more fun once you are use to it rather than nasty understeer/torque steer FWD.

I don't think the IS200 in standard form will give much trouble, the power just isn't there to cause it to "step out" IMHO.

If you had the IS300 then you may have something to worry about :winky:

If you had the IS300 then you may have something to worry about
I have driven my IS300 hard in the wet up in the lake district and in wales and ive only spun out once - I find the handling predictable and I dont think its anywhere near as difficult to handle as some older cars ive driven

however if it starts snowing.....then its game over :lol:

If you had the IS300 then you may have something to worry about
I have driven my IS300 hard in the wet up in the lake district and in wales and ive only spun out once - I find the handling predictable and I dont think its anywhere near as difficult to handle as some older cars ive driven

however if it starts snowing.....then its game over :lol:

The IS300 has VSC which stops it getting out of shape much better than just the traction control fitted to the IS200.