Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Doh! Reversed My Lex Into A Pole

:angry: Pants! Whilst out at B&Q I reversed the car into a wooden triangular post! (I'm sure it just jumped up out of the ground :lol: )

Anyway pretty pee'ed off about the whole matter, but I've had a good look underneath and in the boot and it looks like the damage is just cosmetic. Its not worth an insurance claim, but I'd like the damage sorted out.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions about the best way of fixing it? Could it just be sanded out and resprayed? I know the pics aren't great but the 'dent' is about an inch or so wide and is worse at the top. It runs down the bumper for about five inches but is quite shallow as it runs down.

:angry: :o can't believe I whacked it still!

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

in the mean time pop back into B&Q, buy a decent saw and cut that post down, it wont help your car but it will make you feel better, and you would be helping many other drivers in the process

:)

I did something very similar in my old IS 200, with a similar amount of damage, in a similar place.

I took the car along to a place called 'Bak2Nu' in Swindon. Despite their dubious business name they did a fantastic repair - immaculate - for 120 quid. I was extremely pleased.

Thanks,

Nige

I did the same mate, well my wife did it, so this weekend im out there fixing it and doing my Bodykit at the same time i will let you all see the pic,s when its all fixed

I did the same mate, well my wife did it, so this weekend im out there fixing it and doing my Bodykit at the same time i will let you all see the pic,s when its all fixed

Hmmm... Do you fancy doing mine too while youre at it marcus?? :whistling:

Quick update:

Chips Away and & Dent Devils and the like can't really do much with the dent cos its on the plastic bumper and the plastic won't 'pop back' like metal..

I took it to my local resonably reputable body shop who say the bumper and bodykit need removing then the bumper heated up and reformed. It can then be painted and refitted: £170! grr.... :angry:

I'm still seriously considering sawing down that post in B&Q car park! :P

Gutted mate - I've done the same thing several years ago. It was my first ever new car, and I reversed into lampost after exactly 1 week of ownership. Ripped the rear 1/4 panel in two :blush::whistling:

are you sure chipsaway can't do it? my brother did a very similar thing and chipsaway came and sorted it out, not exactly sure what they did, but it involved a very large red lamp (which i guess was quite hot :P ). Don't think it cost anywhere near £170 either

hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks for all your advice guys... I have had a couple of "Smart" repairers (like chips-away) out and they all said to try a bodyshop because the bumper will need removing and reforming... I wish i'd hit the metal now, It would have been cheaper! i might try my Lexus Dealer tho as PQuist suggested before I take it into the bodyshop.

Doh! Reversed My Lex Into A Pole

Ooh dear - was he alright ?

Not a very friendly thing to do what with Poland only just having joined the EU :P

Looking at the pic ..

You might find after a while, the paint around the bump will get a 'crazed' effect.

looks like small cracks in the finish... something like a cobweb...

Sorry, not much help i know but just wanted to get the 'pole' bit in :D

Thanks for all your advice guys... I have had a couple of "Smart" repairers (like chips-away) out and they all said to try a bodyshop because the bumper will need removing and reforming... I wish i'd hit the metal now, It would have been cheaper! i might try my Lexus Dealer tho as PQuist suggested before I take it into the bodyshop.

Hope you'll be lucky and find it in GB, but i know that, in France, is sold a "plastic bumpers reparing kit "

I did the same thing to my car two years ago.

You got to cut all around to make a hole that you repair with the kit which is composed of fiber and spécial solf resine .

It takes a long time to do but after repainting, nothing can be seen.

good luck ;)

I had one of those damned posts jump out of me a few years ago, I then had Mrs Marple (aka of the blue rinse brigade) run upto my car, knock on the window & tell me "I was just about to tell you... you were getting very close to that post".

I politely smilled & said well, its done now, thanks! :crybaby:

Everything was ok though... I was in a company Vectra... Turned out to be the best mod I could've made!!!

Anyways, no moral to this story, just go for pedestrians next time, they make a mess but at the end of the day it wipes off!

Good luck getting it sorted.

Stuart B)