Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Downloading Problems

TURNER

Hi All

Don't know if any of you computer buffs can help me

my problem is when i'm downloading for example music , pictures , films etc

from different web sites not just the one after a time of downloading it all stops and freeze's and i have to start from the beginning to download a bit more before it does it again

i've tried rebooting the computer and unistalling the website but still it does it

have a problem and can anyone fix it

Andy

Im no expert, but i think i am right in saying that you can only download if the other computer is turned on. So what i think could be happening, especially if we are talking about long downloads e.g. films, is that the owner of the host computer is probably switching off. This is probably why you can continue the download at a later time when the host computer is back on. I am sure someone will be along to correctme if this is wrong.

Hi Andy,

It could be a few things. You could try a download manager like this one , this may help. If you are on DSL and use a DSL USB modem do you have a VIA (AMD CPU) chipset? If so get the latest 4in1 Drivers from Via.

Can you provide, what connection you are on, type of hardware you connect with, OS you use, and any other details?

Chris

what connection you are on
(Broadband or dial up?)
type of hardware you connect with
(Is your modem inside your computer, or does it connect through a port = USB, serial)
OS you use,
(windows 95, 98, xp?)
Who is your ISP?
(Internet Service Provider = Freeserve, NTL, BT)

Also where are you trying to download from, and does it always drop off after the same amount of time?

Have a look through your power options in the control panel just to check nothing is going into standbuy.

If its bit torrents, I take it your downloading CD's etc for "back-up" uses?

Have you tried downloading from "Microsoft update" to see if it does the same from a more stable source.

broadband

usb modem

running windows xp

freeserve

Known issues, power draw on DSL USB modems is on the limits of USB power supply, unplug _all_ other USB stuff, printer, scanner you could also try a powered USB hub. Symptoms - Hardware locking up, data transfer freezing

If you are using a VIA chip set, rule of thumb any AMD processor, then get the latest drivers from Via they are called the 4in1 Drivers. Make sure that you have service pack one installed on XP, speed issues are well known on certain chip sets when not using SP1.

If you only get the issue on Peer2Peer applications then then it could be mine field of stuff.

There is no affective way to do this Colin, as P2P can use any port, you would have to interrogate every packet and there is no kit on the market that can cope with the throughput of a ISP. :winky:

There is no affective way to do this Colin, as P2P can use any port, you would have to interrogate every packet and there is no kit on the market that can cope with the throughput of a ISP. :winky:

There is more than one product that can do the job and most p2p traffic is quite easy to detect. I've seen some of the products work in test and live environments.

Obviously nothing like the stuff Packeteer sell, I’ve also had the misfortune to use their equipment.