Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Noise

CINTELA

This is now the second braking problem I have had in three months(IS 200 X reg). :yack: This time when I brake there is a clunking noise, it sounds like the brake pads are moving thus causing the noise. I took it to Lexus and the mechanic agreed that the noise was coming from the pads but he wanted to change both front calipers at a cost of £700. I will try changing the pads this weekend but they dont appear to be worn too much. Any ideas? :crybaby:

Apply cooper grease to areas where this is metal to metal contact making sure none gets on the rotor or pad braking surface.

Similar to here:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AFI~G~C2...063452/82905304

Also make sure the bolts that hold the calliper to the torque plate move smoothly. If water get in there they rust and eventually the calliper will seize and you will warp your discs. Remove the bolts, rub down any rust, re-grease and put back in making sure the seal goes back over the lip on the bolt.

I changed the pads at the weekend and used lots of copper grease but the noise is still there although not as often. I will turn the stereo up a bit for now and take another look next weekend :duh:

Sounds like the general opinion is applying the grease will do the trick but last year, I had what I considered as 'clunking' when braking especially when turning the wheel at slow speeds and coming to a halt. Dealer spent 6 months trying to fix.

After replacing steering rack, brakes (whole assembly), bushes, suspension etc etc, it eventually turned out to be the engine mounting brackets. Fortunately, all the work was done under warranty.

well just recently i had changed my pads to the mintex variety. Now the origional discs have a bit of a lip but they went on ok. Later on i started to get a rubbing sound coming from the discs, then a clunking. not good.

But yesterday i stripped them down to find that the new pad is 1mm wider than the origional. This was causing the bottom of the pad to ride ever so slightly on the lip/chanel that the old pads had created.

I took a file and removed the edge of the pad, which has helped remove the repetative noise but the heat that it had generated has ever so slightly warped the disc creating a slight amount of distortion to one section,

fitting the new discs from mintex monday.

Hope this can be a little help. BTW it was only on the right hand side caliper.

I have cured the problem on my car by swapping round the clips that go at either end of the brake pad. i.e. the top clips are now on the bottom. This now pushes the brake pad as far forward as it can go, so there is no space for the pads to move into and therefore no noise :) . I dont know if someone in the past has put my clips on the wrong ends or if they were ment to be like that ???. :hehe:

• 4 weeks later...