Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can anyone identify exactly where the "suspension tie bushes" are that my dealer reckons are worn (gs300-2) - everything looks OK to me.

please don't say "on the suspension" - a photo and/or exact location would be great!!

TIA

difficult to know what they are talking about with 'suspension tie bushes'

The lower ball joints are the most common thing to go on the GS suspension. The tie rods are really part of the steering rather than the suspension however they do connect to the lower ball joint assembly.

........and not really knowing the GS suspension, but if its like the rear on the IS2/3 there are also "TIEBARS" on the rear, which have bushes where it mounts to the floorpan

id get the dealer to actually show you these "bushes"

Can you remind me of the "ball-joint" syptoms - mine is fine on normal road bumps but rattle / knocks on sharp concrete ridges at slower speeds - also can't always be sure the noise comes from the rear / same place - it's going into Guilford on Thursday for a looksee but would appreciate your comments ...

.......could be these bushes then

incidently these  "similer" bushes on BMW's are a common fail point on MOT's

The quote states:-

"Replace both front suspension tie rod arms" (apparently cos the bushes are knackered)

the arms cost £81.08 each

I think I'lltake it somewhere for a second opinion though - I had a good look in there and everything looks fine

The quote states:-

"Replace both front suspension tie rod arms" (apparently cos the bushes are knackered)

the arms cost £81.08 each

I think I'lltake it somewhere for a second opinion though - I had a good look in there and everything looks fine

these are the lower ball joints.

And yes ... it is very likely that these fail. In fact, I had mine replaced about 6 months ago.

worn ball joints will cause a click-click noise when you turn your steering wheel, especially noticeable when you are driving slowly, and steering will be less direct.

Thanks for the advice guys

There's no noise at all and everything feels very tight down there - I've had the wheels off and there no sign of anything being loose or worn.

The car has just been MOTd too - I would have thought that worn bushes would have failed it?????

I don't know if this is any help. It one of the front suspension arms.

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/Misc/Dcp_2808

When fitted to the car,everything was fine. The tell tale signs were nothing more than the odd clunk or groan from being on full lock or a lound intermittent bang from going over a pothole.

This was the only failure I had during the cars ownership.

I don't know if this is any help. It one of the front suspension arms.

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/Misc/Dcp_2808

When fitted to the car,everything was fine. The tell tale signs were nothing more than the odd clunk or groan from being on full lock or a lound intermittent bang from going over a pothole.

This was the only failure I had during the cars ownership.

Thanks mate

How much did you pay to get them sorted?

Rodders.

I managed to get hold of a pair of used arms from a late model that had been a total loss. I was lucky really. I paid £20 for the pair.

I would imagine you can buy an aftermarket poly bush kit for them. I had a similar problem recently with my 300ZX. The tie rod bushes where destroyed by oil and Nissan wanted an arm and a leg complete with shirt sleeves and cufflinks. I managed to source a pair of superflex bushes which are a better quality but cheaper than the dealer.

A word of warning. The arms are a pain to fit. You have to lower the front crossmember to get them out. Once that is dropped, its relatively straight foward.

I also found that the slight pull to one side I had disappeared when I changed the bushes. Good luck.

Rodders.

I managed to get hold of a pair of used arms from a late model that had been a total loss. I was lucky really. I paid £20 for the pair.

I would imagine you can buy an aftermarket poly bush kit for them. I had a similar problem recently with my 300ZX. The tie rod bushes where destroyed by oil and Nissan wanted an arm and a leg complete with shirt sleeves and cufflinks. I managed to source a pair of superflex bushes which are a better quality but cheaper than the dealer.

A word of warning. The arms are a pain to fit. You have to lower the front crossmember to get them out. Once that is dropped, its relatively straight foward.

I also found that the slight pull to one side I had disappeared when I changed the bushes. Good luck.

Thanks mate