Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Conditioning

Looking to buy a 10000 BTU portable air conditioner for the house. Anyone know what brand to buy and whats the best place to get one.

Loads of them about on e-bay but nothing branded.

let me know how u get on ...Mrs E wants one :blush:

Bought one yesterday from B&Q. After looking at the website i decided on a Delonghi CF something or another for £265 didnt order online as i didint want to wait so went to local store who told me that they could only get it on special order :angry::angry: anyway in the couple of minutes that i was chatting to the guy about 6 of these 1200BTU units were sold (£300) i thought :tsktsk: it im having one as well (cant remember which make it is but there are three different ones 8000btu, 10000btu and 12000)- seems pretty good got remote control and its electronic touch button.

last year i couldnt get one from anywhere and boy its supposeed to be a scorcher tomorrow -- i know that im gonna be sleeping well this summer :D :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: -- havnt used it yet as ive been told that if its been put on its side (when i brought it home in the car) to give it a day to let the chemicals settle so i will be giving it a go tonight - will let you know how it goes :winky:

I have seen the 8/10/12k BTU models at B&Q and like as said they're unbranded (well atleast not a well known brand) I am not sure how good they really might be. DeLonghi are meant to be good but the wait is definitely annoying.

I have seen some unknown brand ones at Costco at really good prices and might pop down to buy it.

I bought one a month ago, and so glad I did today!

I went for the B&Q 12000 model for £298. Its actually branded Amcor who are an established brand. I would have gone for the more expensive Delonghi 12000 model B&Q sell but I couldn't be bothered to wait 14 days and then pay for delivery, but that unit probably is better.

I'd seen the one in costco, but its only 9000BTU and it is bigger than the one I got. Last time I went in Costco they had sold out too.

It does work very well, you have to vent the hose out of the window but it quite quickly cools the room by a few degree's. Only problem now is I want one in every room, or at least another down stairs.

post-71-1086699049.jpg

I bought one a month ago, and so glad I did today!

I went for the B&Q 12000 model for £298. Its actually branded Amcor who are an established brand. I would have gone for the more expensive Delonghi 12000 model B&Q sell but I couldn't be bothered to wait 14 days and then pay for delivery, but that unit probably is better.

I'd seen the one in costco, but its only 9000BTU and it is bigger than the one I got. Last time I went in Costco they had sold out too.

It does work very well, you have to vent the hose out of the window but it quite quickly cools the room by a few degree's. Only problem now is I want one in every room, or at least another down stairs.

Yeap thats the one i got -- its not to big either - in comparison to the 8/10k btu -- If you want to buy one i suggest you do it quick before they all go - they were flying off the shelf yesterday :blink:

Used the unit last night B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) had a good nights sleep -- although it takes a little while to cool down - but obviously would be quicker in a smaller room. :D

Thanks everyone. DaveEllen has offered to check at his local Makro to find what's available.

This is what makes this club so wonderful. Even if you dont own a Lexus.

Macro had sold out the gits.........

relieved me of a stack of cash for other stuff tho :blush:

Used the unit last night B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) had a good nights sleep -- although it takes a little while to cool down - but obviously would be quicker in a smaller room. :D

I looked everywhere last year too but couldn't get one.

Did you leave the unit on all night? I haven't done yet and it did warm up quite a bit in the night, so was back on this morning.

Most air conditioners have their capacity rated in British thermal units (BTU). Generally speaking, a BTU is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound (0.45 kg) of water 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.56 degrees Celsius). Specifically, 1 BTU equals 1,055 joules. In heating and cooling terms, 1 "ton" equals 12,000 BTU.

A typical window air conditioner might be rated at 10,000 BTU. For comparison, a typical 2,000-square-foot (185.8 m2) house might have a 5-ton (60,000-BTU) air conditioning system, implying that you might need perhaps 30 BTU per square foot. (Keep in mind that these are rough estimates. To size an air conditioner for your specific needs, contact an HVAC contractor.)

The energy efficiency rating (EER) of an air conditioner is its BTU rating over its wattage. For example, if a 10,000-BTU air conditioner consumes 1,200 watts, its EER is 8.3 (10,000 BTU/1,200 watts). Obviously, you would like the EER to be as high as possible, but normally a higher EER is accompanied by a higher price.

:duh: :blink: :duh:

Basically the higher the BTU the more powerfull the unit. Most are between 9000 and 12000.

Did you leave the unit on all night? I haven't done yet and it did warm up quite a bit in the night, so was back on this morning.

Rich - yeap i left it on all night did get a bit cold actually - havnt used the sleep function is supposed to increase temp by a degree every hour for tow hours or something like that.

Went to three different B&Qs all sold out of the 12000BTU but one of them had all the delonghi range in stock probably all gone now though

Dave - B&Q website still had them yesterday i had to order another one for my dads mate :winky:

:zee: Well; I suppose I could sleep in the back seat of the LS400 with the aircon on....(-:) once I get it re-gassed!

Yes. it does get hot down south, here in Bristol!

I once spent 6(summer) months in deepest Andalucia, where it was 35-40 every day and @ 28 at night! Now you know why people there don't have 'picture' windows! you lie there wishing the thin sheet was even thinner...and don't even THINK about s*x! :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

:blush: sorry to ressurect a really old thread guys, but i was just wondering...

for the ones that did buy a portable/home air con unit - how have you got on with them? any problems? or brand recommendations?

i'm on the look out for a unit now for our bedroom & i'm determined not to get caught out in the summer rush!

prices seem to vary widely on the net for very similar machines. i've found various ones 9-12k BTU for anything between £210 to £320+. i'd rather pay a bit extra & know i've got a machine with a decent compressor life expectancy & perhaps a higher BTU as not to 'strain' it too much (if you see what i mean :blink: )

any feedback would be appreciated :D

cheers,

Abbie

I've got this one below which has been absolutely perfect. It did cost a bit more (about £350-£400). Its 15000BTU, and also has a heater, HEPA filter and an LCD remote, and above all looks great :D

141859226.jpg

To be honest though, we've got a few of these at home, and even the cheapo one from B&Q that's probably over 5 years old now still works great, so I would recommend just buying the one you want to buy as they shouldn't really go wrong

I've got this one below which has been absolutely perfect. It did cost a bit more (about £350-£400). Its 15000BTU, and also has a heater, HEPA filter and an LCD remote, and above all looks great :D

141859226.jpg

To be honest though, we've got a few of these at home, and even the cheapo one from B&Q that's probably over 5 years old now still works great, so I would recommend just buying the one you want to buy as they shouldn't really go wrong

beam me up Scotty is all i can say to that! who'd of thought an a/c unit could look so darn COOL...geddit?? :tomato:

i shall carry on my search for all things cool looking :winky:

thats the coolest ac unit ive ever seen.is it from B&Q also?

i do believe this may be one of these wee beasties...

Yep that's the one in that link, I've got the one on the left (PLM15000EH) which I got from Makro. I believe you can get the model below, (on the right - PLM12000E) from Comet. Its a great unit and worth it if you don't mind paying a bit extra.

However for the ultimate in style, you want one of these Siemens units:

siemens-S1RKM09012.jpg

Its not quite as powerful or feature packed as the Amcor, but its absolutely gorgeous and also very quiet. I love the aluminium front, only trouble is that it costs £700 :o