Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Sport - Pricing Guide Help Please

OK... Having saved hard, ended up the wrong side of 40 and cleared the kids stuff out of the garage, it's time to finally stop driving wrecks and treat myself to a quality car... And to that end I have set my heart on an IS 200 Sport and am in the early stages of educating myself about my quarry.

I have read a great deal on these forums, finding the site to be a wealth of useful information... So "Two Thumbs Up" to all those who run the site and contribute.

Which brings me to my question... Where can I find the most accurate price guide to used IS 200s?

I have tried the likes of "What Car", "Parkers" and "AA", and they vary a fair amount, therefore I was wondering if any of the above were deamed to be the best guide? Or is there a Lexus friendly guide elsewhere?

My budget stretches to £12,000 and when I part with it, every last crisp note, I'd like to think I got a good deal, which is why I am trying to fathom the best price guide.

Dealers cars are in greater numbers than private cars locally, and there are few (if any) private vehicles, however there is one that looks promisng. A 200 Sport, Sept 2000 "X", 26K on clock, full lexus service (serviced 1 month ago), Brand New replacement alloys 2 weeks ago (under warranty), described as Immaculate (heard that before). No extras. (eg sat nav, parking, metallic, styling kit).

Now, I concede I am a mechanical nugget, and any car I view, I'll be viewing with my friendly mechanic, and making any offer (if i do) based on a satisfactory AA inspection.

So... what kind of price should I be paying for the car above? Naturally I know the asking price, but based on the info above, lets assume the car turns out to be immaculate as stated....

What sort of price might I expect to pay?

What would be a good deal from my point of view?

What would be too much?

What would be a steal? (I wish)

Well...... Thanks for reading this far, and any comments received.

im sure someone far more helpfull than me on the subject will be along any time soon..................

i get my cars Tax free so am not really the best placed person to help on this one im afraid, however once you do get a car, i shall be able to help you spend your money on modifications very easiily if you so wish :winky:

hmmmm it doesnt sound bad......as mentioned before look to pay around 2K below what the dealers are asking.

Have a look on the autotrader.co.uk and see what they are going for on there, would be a good place to start.

And dont scrimp on the AA/RAC check, before you buy.........this may cost you over £150, but worth it i think.

Good luck, and hope to see you back on here sometime.

Rob

hi mate, a mate of mine has just paid £11500 for X reg with service history 39000mls its an se plat ice but wheels do need doing but imca condition ,was private sale aswell. he did look for about 2-3 weeks to find the right one, there are some bad ones out there from what he tells me,(he is a mechanic )so he can spot them.AA/RAC might be good thing to do first.

I've just bought an IS200 SE a week ago, from used car dealer for 10995, Y reg Blue with Oakham leather interior, Lovely car and I can't wait to pick it up. My husband and I looked around a lot before we bought it and decided to go for this one, highish miles but I do all motorway driving anyway and it has full lexus service history.

Give Ian or Simon a call at Lexus Edinburgh and see what they have in, and more importantly what they have got coming in on PX etc. Lots of mixed reviews about AA/RAC inspections, if you search on here Im sure you find the horror story Im thinking of _if you_ want to read it :winky:

Firstly, thanks for allthe suggestions, all of which are taken onboard.

Well.... I had a quick "drive by" visual on the "X" plate, sport, with 26k (and snapped a couple of pics) before i view later this week, only to find a non standard vehicle with a non standard spoiler, grill, and a *** awful "skirt" thingy (sorry, just not up with the jargon)

On the plus side, having seen the standard of parking, I was pleased to be told during a phone call earlier in the day, that the new alloys had not yet been fitted!!!

http://www.boomspeed.com/thundering/trim001.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/thundering/trim002.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/thundering/trim003.jpg

Now... A few questions, overall, the car looks good, (wet so reserving judgement for a dry day) no apparent panel dinks, very minor one or two stone chips, but that skirt thingy appears to be all round, tacky, plasticky, and flimsy, so, how much damage do these things cause being installed? are they simply bolt or clip on? ............. But more importantly...... Are they easily removed?

Given that the seller is in a "must sell" situation and willing to negotiate, sub 12K, is this piece of TAT a big deal? or does it simply require a far more professional fit? removal? replacement? Should I see it as a big minus?

Not understanding the "aftermarket" business, I see the skirt "Add on" as detracting from the cars value.

The 'add on' looks like the first styling kit option available for the IS. Costs about £2,000 from Lexus.

Not sure how it's fitted - they may be bonded and therefore difficult to remove.

Again the grill is a genuine Lexus option and costs about £220.

The grill and spoiler are genuine toyota/lexus parts, not sure about the front and rear skirts but I asume so. I am sure there are people on here who would buy the spoiler off you or swap it for the origanal sport one. Same with the grill

Jim & Colin.... That's good news I guess, as long as the spoiler and grill are not from the "Carlos Fandango" school of Add ons I can live with it :o).... As for fitting, the skirt looks bolted on, or rather it is under the wheel arches, AKA the way mud flaps go on. I doubt its bonded, as it's flimsiness comes from the fact that at the front it can be pulled away with ease from what I assume is the original bumper.

Ignore the pic that makes the car look derelict as it was raining and the rain drops look like a million stone chips.....

http://www.boomspeed.com/thundering/trim004.jpg

..... Note the thin greyish rubber sealstrip (akin to that on some shower fittings) that I think takes up the slack and negates the need to fit "properly"

The spoiler is a genuine Lex one with the intergrated brake light. Mine has it and I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me. The genuine sport spolier is much more discrete and is more of a raise trim effect on the boot lip rather than a 'shopping trolley handle'.

Also just to point out that the rear brake light in the back screen won't work as they connect the spoiler light up instead.