Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Can Dealers So Close Charge So Differently?

Haven't called round all my local dealers but received a 'courtesty' call from Lexus Oxford yesterday saying that my car should be having its 40k service shortly, shall they book it in. I'm glad I asked how much first as they quoted £396 + vat (£465)!!!

Emailed Twickenham and they have quoted £315 inc vat, a difference of £150 or 32%. Mad considering they are only 60 miles apart, hardly one end of the country to the other!

Without Twickenham providing the oil, its £255 for the service but I don't know how much oil I need, what oil it is and how much it costs!

No wonder Oxford have to ring you up to get you to book your car in, I'm hardly going to be calling them!

Hmmm thats interesting... My car is about to go to Oxford for its 40,000 mile service, where I was quoted....

"aprrox £310.00 inclusive as long as it is not due a

brake fluid change,as this a extra on this service.it is only due to be

changed every two years.i would like to fit lexus part to your car,i am

willing to give you 10% discount on the parts.how ever it would be cheaper

if you supplied your own oil as we only use Mobil 1.this would save you

£50.00 aprrox."

At the time they didnt know I had Gold LoC Membership either, so I will be entitled to 15% and not 10% :zee:

I'm starting to question my hearing now cos £310 inc vat is much better considering its the same place and service. She was specific that mine was being classed as a 40k / 3 YEAR service. I agree with the oil saving, Twickenham said it would save me £55 and thanks to Colin's post, I know I can buy much cheaper.

Nick: Mines not booked in yet so would be nice to hear the outcome of your visit.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but my car is having the 4 year/40,000 mile service, though its only about to hit 30,000 miles?

I will indeed be supplying my own oil, I am going to go for the Magnatech as Colin suggested, will be popping down my local Part Co or Brown Brothers for this, they have been recommended to me by a mate who is as tight as a ducks bottom, so they must be the cheapest around!

Will let you know how I get on.

I'm starting to question my hearing now cos £310 inc vat is much better considering its the same place and service. She was specific that mine was being classed as a 40k / 3 YEAR service. I agree with the oil saving, Twickenham said it would save me £55 and thanks to Colin's post, I know I can buy much cheaper.

Nick: Mines not booked in yet so would be nice to hear the outcome of your visit.

I guess it depends what has been done on previous services. It may require brake fluid and/or coolant change which would increase the price. They may also be quoting for an air filter but it may not need changing when it's inspected.