Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying An Is200 Sport

Hello all.

I am about to start my Lexus journey! Decided on a 2001 IS200 Sport (with Sat Nav), Blue or Black. just gotta find one now - preferably Lexus dealer and for the right money.

I have a few questions wondered if some experienced IS200 people could answer?

1. The Lexus Sat Nav system - DVD based? If so, how easy and expensive is it to upgrade the DVD containing the maps? Or should I maybe look for a non Sat Nav model and buy a non-Lexus one afterwards - are there any that use the original Lexus fitment?

2. alloys - Going down the Lexus Dealer route, I'd hope the wheels would have been replaced if necessary for corrosion problem? How can I tell? And what are the conditions for getting them changed free by Lexus?

3. Stereo - I hear it's pretty good as standard!!? But I have a spare decent amp and sub from from my previous car I might consider fitting the IS200. Does the standard headunit have any pre-outs for this? Any advice? (Like "don't bother"? hehe).

Looking to spend around £13.5-£14.5K. Mileage around 40k mark would be fine, I don't do high mileage and a mix of motorway and town trips.

Can't wait to park one on my drive now!!

Thanks, Trev.

Welcome Trev,

The sat nav may be either CD or DVD based. It changed in october 2001. A new DVD will cost around £300.

If buying from a dealer then make sure the wheels are replaced or refurbed as part of the deal if they are not perfect. However it only costs £200 to have them refurbed yourself or buy another set on eBay for the same money.

If you do a search on this site you should find previous posts about ICE installations.

2. Alloys - Going down the Lexus Dealer route, I'd hope the wheels would have been replaced if necessary for corrosion problem? How can I tell? And what are the conditions for getting them changed free by Lexus?

3. Stereo - I hear it's pretty good as standard!!? But I have a spare decent amp and sub from from my previous car I might consider fitting the IS200. Does the standard headunit have any pre-outs for this? Any advice? (Like "don't bother"? hehe).

As for the alloys (if I can remember exactly what Chris told me ) the refurbs are smooth around the back whereas the original's are much sharper - you can see where these have been diamond cut as they have a radial shine on mine.

If they're corroded you'll spot it a mile off, basically they'll either be bubbling or just have black spots on them.

Think the alloys are covered for 3 years from the original sale date of the car - not sure what happens if it's over that period old (many people are turned away and have to buy a set of refurbs at around 80 a wheel).

As for the stereo, personally I like it, sounds great with my rock stuff and chillout stuff, but the newer head units have less bass than the old ones (think that's right but I read that ages ago).

Basically the original head units had the cd loader at the bottom and are prone to failure with ERR 3's (replacement required) and the newer one's have the cd loader at the top.

If you want lots of bass then you might want an upgrade? I'm sticking with stock.

Anyway, all the best finding a motor that's what you're looking for!

On the wheels - if you run your finger along each spoke face - if it is slightly rough (and if you have good eyesight you might even see fine lines) then they are untouched. If smooth to the touch the refurb man has been busy.

Hope this make sense.

PS

I actually prefer the refurb.

PPS

The spare is probably original and won't have been done even if the 4 on the car have - so check it for differences.