Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Filter

whitie

I use Castrol Magnatec from a wholesaler ;)

Does anyone have the part number for the Oil Filter? where is the best place to get on? how much should I expect to pay? personal 5K service due ;)

Will the local toyota dealer have them?

Just having a look at this. Will I need the TSST? Or is it a simple job with axel stands and a 10mm spanner like other cars?

Because National are offering Oil & Filter Changes from £10-25!! depending on the oil you take. A mate of my dads said he will do the labour for £20... :blink::unsure:

I've taken my ones off in the past (not the lex) by sticking a screwdriver through it, and turning it off.  :lol:  :unsure:

Same here :yahoo: :arrrggg-matey:

That's a good idea for removing the old one but not so good for tightening the new one :o . Remember, the Lexus filter uses a different type of gasket from most other manufacturer's filters I've seen. Instead of hand tightening it you're supposed to give it an extra 3/4 turn which needs some sort of tool (such as the Toyota SST).

• 2 months later...

I've taken my ones off in the past (not the lex) by sticking a screwdriver through it, and turning it off.  :lol:   :unsure:

Same here :yahoo: :arrrggg-matey:

That's a good idea for removing the old one but not so good for tightening the new one :o . Remember, the Lexus filter uses a different type of gasket from most other manufacturer's filters I've seen. Instead of hand tightening it you're supposed to give it an extra 3/4 turn which needs some sort of tool (such as the Toyota SST).

you dont need the tool i undid my filter with my hand and i pute it on the same way :whistling: and all is ok so there you go :winky:

:driving:

its a pig to get at though isnt it?

well i had the car up on a ramp and i had to use my hands to undo it. took some doing but i got there in the end, where it is you will never get a tool on it so you have to use your hands :whistling:

Instead of hand tightening it you're supposed to give it an extra 3/4 turn which needs some sort of tool

Does anyone know how much these tools are, or if there is a way around it? :unsure:

You can get the "official" Toyota Special Service Tool (SST) from a Toyota dealer (parts department). It cost me £37.85 which is very expensive for what it is - i.e. a large socket to fit over the end of the filter.

As other postings have suggested, you might be able to get a generic filter wrench or even just use your hands but be aware that some filter wrenches are designed only for removing filters (not tightening them) since they damage the filter.

If you do decide the fork out the £37.85, then there's no problem getting the SST to reach up to the filter. Afterall, it's no larger than the palm of a hand.

• 3 months later...