Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2nd Gear

Hi

I have had my 04 Lexus IS200SE for 2 weeks now.

Think it is the bees knees, but for one thing.

Second gear is a bit hit and miss.

Sometime is works to perfection, but mostly it is not a smooth shift.

Is this a 'feature' or should I get Lexus to look into it.

Thanks

The longer you have it the mor eyou will get used to it and change smoothly.

I found that if I touched the throttle before I'd let off the clutch it would make the noise or ***** etc, nowadays I tend to slip the clutch much more and it's a lot smoother......

Think it's a common tendancy of the 6 cylinder or six speed - can't remember what Mat C said ages ago but don't worry about it - fit a short shifter then you won't notice it as much as you'll be changing gears much more :P

Isn't it just the manual box though? Don't know if they can sort it that easily, when I asked about it was told that it was a common fault, and that it was the same gearbox as one of the Toyota's and basically the manual box is *******.

Swap it for an IS300 - you know you want too :P

Mine is the same and its new so i agree its a charactoristic......unfortunately

I find that if I keep my foot on the trottle steady instead of lifting slightly as usual on a gear change it improves matters

I only notice this on my car (2001) for the first few changes when its cold. After a few mins driving its fine. I changed the gearbox oil to Castrol Syntrax and this seemed to help a bit too.

But I agree it isn't acceptable on a new car

Gavin :)

it's not a problem though, it's a characteristic of the car! Any dealer will tell you the same.

its a fault - the gearbox is crap, how many times have u seen companies on watchdog etc that say it is a characteristic - eg the citroens that rolled down the hill when the handbrake failed " oh thats a characteristic sir"