Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello fellow Lexi

I have recently acquired a mark III 1996 LS with 86000 on clock and having driven it around for hours and hours I have established some anomalies. I took car to Toyota for a service and they diagnosed Dent in sump, slight leak in gearbox and steering pump, bonnet struts weak and corroded rear discs and the dash display dimmer had been used to feed rear fog lights and the switch was overloaded. Also car stalls after long runs on motorway which is a tad disconcerting!

Car going to Lexus next week for Cam belt and a possible O2 sensor.

Do I have a dog or are these minor issues?

Any suggestions would be great.

thats sounds a shame for a low mileage LS400

sounds like the last owner had a tight wallet

Also sounds like an import if the fog light was wired

does it have a square plate on the back?

i know the power steering pump leaking is a common problem,and the others don't sound to painfull apart from the stalling .i wouldent say you,ve bought a dog and there are many people on this site who can recommend places to source cheap parts etc ,toyota/lexus main dealers do go over them very thoroughly and find things that others would not thats how they make there money ,have you thought about taking it to a non main dealer to do the cambelt etc would save you a few quid.is there any service history with the car to back up the mileage

As tony says.. the power steering pump are known to leak... but certain LS400's are known to leak in to the alternator.. causing more probs.. have this checked out as I am not sure if your model has this problem.

Hello fellow Lexi

I have recently acquired a mark III 1996 LS with 86000 on clock and having driven it around for hours and hours I have established some anomalies. I took car to Toyota for a service and they diagnosed Dent in sump, slight leak in gearbox and steering pump, bonnet struts weak and corroded rear discs and the dash display dimmer had been used to feed rear fog lights and the switch was overloaded. Also car stalls after long runs on motorway which is a tad disconcerting!

Car going to Lexus next week for Cam belt and a possible O2 sensor.

Do I have a dog or are these minor issues?

Any suggestions would be great.

Hello the mate,like everyone says its the normal sort of problems that your having,how much did you pay for your 400?....do you have any pictures of her to post on here.I would stick with the old girl if i was you,try and sort the power steering leak 1st or that will lead to bigger problems like others on here have said,as long as she drives nice and theres no clunks or noises coming from the suspension,sounds like you havent done to bad.I wouldnt worry to much about the dent in the sump as long as its not leaking.Its normal for the bonnet struts to be weak mines the same on me mk1.Hope its not going to cost to much to put the niggles right..happy motoring mate :driving:

Many thanks for the comments.

I will stick with it as it drives like a dream. Brought for £5995 and there is a history, stamped in Borneo and UK. Am reading the guide to detailing the car at the moment and am glued to the screen.

I will post some pics as soon as i can work my way around(am a bit of a technological dinosaur I am afraid). But this site is absolutely superb.

Many thanks for the comments.

I will stick with it as it drives like a dream. Brought for £5995 and there is a history, stamped in Borneo and UK.

Glad your happy with her,my car has also been out the country in the pass for a while with service history stamped in spain,i cant understand it mind but less its been serviced.

Will be looking forward to seeing some pictures of your car soon then mate.

dude,

based upon what you have said, I'm estimating p/s pump will set you back close to 500 quid, the bonnet struts will be 150 quid parts plus 50 quid labour, the rear discs are likely to be around 150 each, plus you will need new pads at an extra 200 quid for parts and labour. So, about £1200. Add to that the cambelt, which is another 300 quid parts and labour. I don't know about 02 sensors.

these are lexus main dealer prices. If you order the parts from other places (like US), and find an independent dealer to do the work, the cost of doing the work will reduce dramatically!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the Stats

I think it will be money well spent. Have had some prices back from Toyota dealer and I think he is pulling my pants down!!

Will see what Lexus have to say as they have already said they ''Will look after me''.

Not sure if that means bring me round with smelling salts when they send Securicor to pick up my money to pay invoice.

Have said the car will be going to them 5 to 6 times a year for service so we shall see what becomes of the generosity and goodwill.

Will keep you posted.

Have said the car will be going to them 5 to 6 times a year for service so we shall see what becomes of the generosity and goodwill.

Dude,

So you are doing 54,000 miles of driving a year??? (9k service intervals..)

I am afraid so................shame to rack up the miles on such a lovely car , but I need the comfort!. 50 - 60 thousand is about right.

I think that Lexus will need to look after me as I will be looking after them......if you see what I mean. :driving:

I'd seriously look at getting an LPG conversion with that sort of mileage on the horizon. If you keep the car a couple of years it is bound to pay for itself in the long run! I am guessing with driving a couple of hundred miles a day you are going to be doing a lot of motorway work? The LS400 should take that nicely on the chin, especially as you sound like you intend on looking after it! On LPG I reckon you will be looking at equivalent MPG of 40 odd! Sounds good to me for a luxury car!

Good Luck,

Will

I am afraid so................shame to rack up the miles on such a lovely car , but I need the comfort!. 50 - 60 thousand is about right.

At current petrol prices, and assuming 23mpg overall, that's a petrol bill of nearly 10 grand!!!

:blush::blush:

Now that IS a scary statistic!

I think the idea of LPG is worth looking into and seems a sensible option.

Have just had the car back from Lexus Cambridge (The service there I found to be vv good.)

And with the aid of ''The black magic card'' I have saved a small fortune..............So THANK YOU LOC.

:driving: Yes! DEFINITELY look into LPG.

I talked to a guy in Cornwall who'd had it done about 3 years ago. Will save you 25%-say- which, on your mileage is worth it. You fit a tank in the spare wheel bay (and pray you don't get a flat? or have little boot space!)

I've seen other stuff about this topic relating to Lexus', so you should be able to fish around (on this site even?) for back-up info to steer you to someone who's already DONE a Lexus.

Thanks Chris,

Have looked at a couple of LPG installers? and have asked for quotes for fitting their system. Had a look for grant aid as well but does not look too optimistic at present. They seem to want new or six year old vehicles, still early days yet and will pursue this one as cost savings would be enormous.

Once again guys......many thanks for your advice as am new to the luxury car ownership thing and value expert opinion.

Yeah, I looked into this. I don't think you can get a government contribution to LPG on an oldish LS400. I heard it costs around £1,500 for a quality installation.

Let us know how it goes.

Have had one reply so far on LPG conversion and am told I have to take car in so that a quote can be given for a 'Romano' system can be given after a close look at the car.

The garage even do pay as you save and give courtesy car whilst mine will be in.........

So when I am in the area I will call in and keep you posted.

Are you interested in knowing price when I find out?

• 2 weeks later...

£1980.00 plus VAT for gas, an extra £140.00 plus VAT for additional tank in boot.

Which sounds very good don't you think?

And update on the stalling............................. Lexus have had two attempts at rectification and guess what?...........................Still stalls.

Going back in later this month for two days. :offtopic: