Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving In Europe

Could anyone tell me whether they have been able to satisfactorily mask their headlights to meet the requirements of driving in France, or have they needed to get the beam adjusted by the dealership?

• Like 1

I posted a similar topic last year. The dealership offered no help - saying the beams were factory set and were not adjustable. No beam deflectors or masks were available for these lamps so I just had to go with it when I drove to Spain and I must say I had no problems or flashes from other drivers at all other than some of the road signs didn't reflect as well as they should have due to the lower beam on that side.

I'm off to France (don't mention the football) in 2 days in my new RX300SE, can't wait to finally get to have a long drive in it.

I've purchased a set of generic beam deflectors from Halfords which say they are compatible with the RX from 2000 onwards, does anyone know if Lexus changed the lamps in the new model?

Also, does anyone know whether I need to carry spare bulbs in France?

Cheers

• Like 1

There's a whole raft of things you should carry depending on which country you are going to. There's a chart here if it helps, which includes France.

Just out of interest, in Italy I believe they've just introduced a law where if you break down at night and get out you HAVE to wear a fluorescent jacket or stripe! Not that in Italy I suppose that much notice is taken. Last time I drove there we got in a motorway jam; stopped for an hour - and everyone just got out their cars and had picnics on the hard shoulder and the central reservation. Bit more relaxed there I think!

Anyway, the chart is here:

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas..._equipment.html

B) YES you DO have to carry a spare bulb set in France; also you have to have TWO warning triangles in case of breakdown. Carry your Green card... get one from your insurers. (In Spain you need a Bail Bond certificate too, or did last time I went.)Radar warning machines are illegal (but then, you're on holiday!! Just cruise and enjoy the sun and countryside.!!!)

Don't forget that priority is different on roundabouts.

I think you may find all this (and more??) on an AA or RAC site?

I've just been reminiscing about my first trip to Spain, 20 years ago. Went for 8 weeks in a 1955 Citroen Traction Avant Commerciale, camping mainly. People outside bars would stand up and applaud when we drove through their village. We'd wake at dawn in a remote valley, to look out of the tent at sheep, bells clanging, passing by, shepherd and sheepdogs looking curiously at this apparition in their valley.....

Have fun! :zee: B) :zee:

I drive regular in Europe, France, Holland, Belgium and Germany, and have never been bothered by anyone, or flashed.

But the only problem I have had, was carrying a can of fuel in the boot. The french don't like that and they will confiscate it. They did that to us ages ago, but we got wise cos they were confiscating it, then selling it to french drivers that had broken down.

We now carry a jerry can of spare fuel, and a bag of sugar. If the french want the fuel, give it to them AFTER you have put the sugar in! Watch their faces and listen to the grumbles when you make the fuel useless to anyone. B)

about the vests - u have to wear them day OR night if u break down in italy , spain and soon i believe germany? - dont bother with the deflectors u wont need them. DO NOT TAKE A SPEED DETECTOR if u get caught with one you will be in big trouble and face a VERY big fine.

Hi Joc,

I've just asked my local dealer about beam deflectors. His answer was to go next door to the Toyota dealer, buy some deflectors (they know which ones) and bring them back to Lexus (just before I go abroad) and they will fit them FOC! :D

• 9 years later...

See below for answer from Lexus UK. There is no need to do anything.

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be
converted for travel on the continent. The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal
flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting
System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman

Customer Relations Executive