Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Coolers

Dave-Ellen

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys...been a busy boy today! I'm gonna take some shots of the setup tonight and have them uploaded ASAP!

I can tell you that the job has been done very nicely...top quality kit involved and I was very chuffed with the agreed price for us LOC'ers!!

Just a little story for you, the guy in charge was measuring everything up...Dave had lent him a HKS sandwich plate incase they had any trouble with their model (no problems by the way). When he first took the HKS sandwich plate out the bag he said, wow that looks like a very nice bit of kit....later, on closer inspection, he said that the threads on the bolts and fixtures were too loose...which he actually thought was very poor, his words were...thats just unacceptable I would never dream of selling something that substandard!! So it proves you don't always get what you think your getting for your money!! ;)

Ok guys and gals....as promised a few pics...

1. Sandwich plate that they will be offering with the kit...complete with thermostat to engage oil cooling at the correct stage!

2. This is the oil filter fitted behind my front grill...a nice black one to blend in!

3. These are the braided hose lines..they come complete with top quality heavy duty adonised connectors at each end!

4. and if anyone is interested a sample oil catch can i purchased from them..comes with blue silicon pipe to replace standard breather pipe...lots of other catch cans avaliable, different sizes and finishes!! Some chrome bling ones avaliable too..prices to follow soon!!

I haven't had time to remove the grill...but when I do you'll get some better pictures of the filter setup and other associated bits!

I also have made a little video clip of the dodgy HKS sandwich plate so you can see why it's not of a very good standard!...I'll upload that tomorrow as i'm using my dial-up connection at the mo!

Anyway...you know where Dave is if you require any of the above items! Enjoy! B)

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

Kit has been fully tested and installed on Neils car.

Delay due to Neil being hit by a virus :sick:

Can I ask all of those really interested to PM me ASAP and I will forward Prolex-UK bank details to enable a deposit of £50 to be paid to secure your kit.

Balance will be payable when the kits are ready for delivery/collection.

I envisage this to be within a week/10 days as its all being done in England :winky:

Dave

When he first took the HKS sandwich plate out the bag he said, wow that looks like a very nice bit of kit....later, on closer inspection, he said that the threads on the bolts and fixtures were too loose...which he actually thought was very poor, his words were...thats just unacceptable I would never dream of selling something that substandard!! So it proves you don't always get what you think your getting for your money!! ;)

I'm a bit concerned about this and would like to know more please

Course threads normally have a "loose" feel to them especialy when the material is aluminium which has a nasty habit of seizing when coupled together.

If there is excessive "play" on the HKS sandwich plate out of the box then it should be returned to the vendor for checking.

If the kit works out to be around £300 and you are working to a budget then go for it, but don't tell me it's the same quality as the top stuff.

BTW, the way the pipes have been installed is a time bomb waiting to go off. The metal braiding WILL saw through the peripheral components that they are rubbing against :o

When he first took the HKS sandwich plate out the bag he said, wow that looks like a very nice bit of kit....later, on closer inspection, he said that the threads on the bolts and fixtures were too loose...which he actually thought was very poor, his words were...thats just unacceptable I would never dream of selling something that substandard!! So it proves you don't always get what you think your getting for your money!! ;)

Course threads normally have a "loose" feel to them especialy when the material is aluminium which has a nasty habit of seizing when coupled together.

If there is excessive "play" on the HKS sandwich plate out of the box then it should be returned to the vendor for checking.

If the kit works out to be around £300 and you are working to a budget then go for it, but don't tell me it's the same quality as the top stuff.

BTW, the way the pipes have been installed is a time bomb waiting to go off. The metal braiding WILL saw through the peripheral components that they are rubbing against :o

Mark,

I'll let you see the sandwich plate when I'm next in. I got it only as a means to move the project on if the company (trading for 37 years BTW) could not do the sandwich plate.

The pics posted were during the trial fitment and more will be posted now Neil is fully recovered and driving round with it fitted.

When I asked them to do me a kit I didnt say I want it for £x I just said I want an oil cooler kit for an IS200. They did the work came back with a price I then decided if it was competitive or not........If they'd have come back with a £400 ish price I would not have bothered and taken the loss on one of my chins .

Duncan ---- Kieran is getting a kit and he has a oil temp guage I'll ask him what the readinfs are post fitment. Interstingly he got a drop in temp just from fitting a TRD c/f grill !!

Mark,

I'll let you see the sandwich plate when I'm next in. I got it only as a means to move the project on if the company (trading for 37 years BTW) could not do the sandwich plate.

The pics posted were during the trial fitment and more will be posted now Neil is fully recovered and driving round with it fitted.

When I asked them to do me a kit I didnt say I want it for £x I just said I want an oil cooler kit for an IS200. They did the work came back with a price I then decided if it was competitive or not........If they'd have come back with a £400 ish price I would not have bothered and taken the loss on one of my chins .

Duncan ---- Kieran is getting a kit and he has a oil temp guage I'll ask him what the readinfs are post fitment. Interstingly he got a drop in temp just from fitting a TRD c/f grill !!

In the summer I've been getting around 105 - 110, on a motorway drive to Silverstone 3 weeks ago it set around 95 - 100 all the way, after the TRD grille it was more like 80 - 85 (same weather), still hot in traffic and hot weather though (105 - 110). Hoping the oil cooler will drop back to a sensible 80 - 85.

If the pipes need to be routed to a better sited location, will they still be of custom length?

Has there been a estimated fitting time on this Dave, as Neils one was probally fitted on his lunch break :winky:

Steve ,

the pipes were moved a bees d**k and the same pipes were used so all is good.

Fitting time is apprx 1 hour with the main obsticle being getting the oil filter off.

Hope this helps

Dave

Regarding the "loose" threads - what was he refering to? was it the actual pipeline connections or something else? If it was the pipe line connections then yes the thread is a little bit loose on initial connection but should tighten up very quickly once a few threads are on - that is it SHOULD do that if they are of a high quality.

The fittings look like MS ( military standard) imperial thread fittings, the same as on aircraft, obviously there will be a quality difference between these and the aircraft ones, but have as far as i remember only come across one fitting that was siezed and that was placed in quite a harsh enviroment.

The fittings look like MS ( military standard) imperial thread fittings, the same as on aircraft, obviously there will be a quality difference between these and the aircraft ones, but have as far as i remember only come across one fitting that was siezed and that was placed in quite a harsh enviroment.

A question for you because I know next to nothing about aircraft engineering. There is a general belief in the automotive racing industry that many of our parts (especially fasteners etc) are better quality than the aviation equivalent. I have been LED to believe that aviation spec fasteners are normally grade 3 out of 4 available grades, whereas we normally use grades 1 or 2 (SDF and CHQ) which are better and more expensive.

My understanding of the reason for this is that aviation fasteners have built in redundancy over a given area, so that if one or some fail there are no catastophic consequences. This redundancy luxury (or necessity) doesn't happen in racing so the fasteners need to be better quaility to start with.

Would you agree with that or is this wrong? :)

Dave, just going to see what the results are like Duncan, I need to sort some cash out for you but can you give me a couple of weeks please mate? Thank-you :)

A question for you because I know next to nothing about aircraft engineering. There is a general belief in the automotive racing industry that many of our parts (especially fasteners etc) are better quality than the aviation equivalent. I have been LED to believe that aviation spec fasteners are normally grade 3 out of 4 available grades, whereas we normally use grades 1 or 2 (SDF and CHQ) which are better and more expensive.

My understanding of the reason for this is that aviation fasteners have built in redundancy over a given area, so that if one or some fail there are no catastophic consequences. This redundancy luxury (or necessity) doesn't happen in racing so the fasteners need to be better quaility to start with.

Would you agree with that or is this wrong? :)

well mark its not really a straight yes or no answer, i cant say to anyone that the fastners that are used within a racing enviroment are of better spec than those used in aviation ( i have not used or seen them) - comparisons would need to done- various tests such as shear,tension,hardness etc to name a few very basic ones, would need to be carried out.

It also all depends what type of fastners we are talking about, take for instance the "normal" bolt we have, they are made from high tensile corrosion resistant steel, the threads are rolled rather than cut( this minimises any stress points) and are then cadmium plated. As for rivets it also depends on the type required and the surrounding material eg steel or aluminium ( aluminium of course being the principle material) some need to be cooked in an oven to soften them and then reacted within approx 30 mins otherwise they will crack, but most you can use "out of the box"

as for the failsafe aspect yes that is correct, aircraft structures ( airframes) are designed in a way that if a section fails,breaks etc then that will not cause a catastrophic event to take place as there will be other loads paths for the forces to take.

as for the pipe fittings all the pipes/fittings carry 3000psi ( the normal operating pressure of an aircraft hydraulic system)

hope that answers ur Q a little bit?