Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Next generation Lexus IS

Although 3 years away the next 2:nd generation IS is said to have it's inauguration sometime 2005.

If Dr. Toyota was listening what wishes would you current IS owners have about the next IS. (Be realistic, e.g. a 500 bhp engine is NOT realistic)

Here is my list that would make the car interesting a second time around, of which some thing I am missing in this issue:

1) The next IS should have a base 190 bhp engine. The top engine should be around 240 bhp. It has to be a 6 banger and all alu-alloy and dual-VVT-i.

2) Bi-xenon is a must as standard.

3) More interior variations, not just black or tan. Red , yellow and saddle leather. And also a wood-trim and alu trim option.

4) Radio / phone and AC controls on

steering wheel.

5) Dual-zone AC, built in mobile phone.

6) Auto dimming outside and inside mirrors. Park distance control, cruise, rain sensor.

7) Driver and passanger seats electrically adjustable with memory function and adjustable lumbar support !!!

8) Folding rear seats. 6 airbags + airbag curtain.

9) Mark-Levinson stereo as option.

10) 19 inch wheels as option.

11) A more elegant and less hard-plastic interior. The exterior should be derived from the present success. Maybe a few inches wider and a few inches longer wheel-base.

Hope they are listening !

Cheers !

Agree with most.

In-line 6 it'll have to be.

Keep the brakes,

and the gearbox but make it a lot stronger.

Better fuel economy

Yes, indeed build on current good looks and DO NOT make it look like the current LS and SC!!!! PLEASE! (It's okay not to follow BMW's way of doing things)

Interior quality I agree too. But keep the dials design.

More room for the clutch foo

Less 'Toyota feel' to the rear doors and boot lid pls - i.e more weight or damping

DAmping strud on bonnet. - salesman said that it does have it due to unreliablility of tried dampers! Yeah right!

Glass roof?? :lol:

OH AND OH - STRONGER PAINT WORK!!!!

Some more points I just thought of:

- More soúnd insulation ! The next IS has to be quiet as a vault, excpet during hard acceleration whan a sweet exhaust note should be heard.

- Twin exhaust !

- I agree with a more massive feel in the doors.

- Also use of aluminum parts in the roof, boot and bonnet. This plus the engine in alu should save around 100 kg. This would make up for the weight increase of a safer, somewhat bigger and better insulated IS.

- Glass roof, a la merecedes SL would be cool.

- What about an IS Sport Coupé to go along with the sedan and wagon !

My wish list would be:

- 18" wheels as standard

- Xenon's

- Removal of all parts with Toyota on it (Devalues the car)

- Twin Exhaust

- Choice of 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 Inline 6's

- Turbo Diesel option to rival Audi's 180BHP A4

- A True sport's version similar to Honda's Type-R ethos

- Standard Sat nav and Trafficmaster

- Built in rear reversing camera (like Nissan's new Primera)

- Full leather memory seats

- Lights under the wing mirrors (like Volvo)

- and simple things like ALL switchgear illuminated at night (this still annoys me after 2 years).

Other than that not too many other changes.

My wish list...

- More powerful engine but still with 6 speed manual gearbox!

- One touch electric windows all round that can be closed automatically when the car is locked with the remote.

- Hard Disk MP3 player option with upload of tracks from PC via wireless LAN

We already have a type R, just not in Europe....

As well as most of the above I'd like to be able to press the stalk an have it sweep the windscreen once, automatic headlamps, and a car that is as pretty/aggressive as the current one. It would be nice to have less intrusion in the boot, but I'll settle for good handling.

- in addition to the tilt adjustment for steering wheel, a telescopic adjustment is a must (be it electrical or not)

- a longer gas pedal that reaches the floor.

- CVT-type autogear for better fuel consumption and acceleration. Of course, it has to be smooth in gear shifting. Also, pedal style 'tiptronic' gear shifting mounted behing steering wheel...

- no protruding antenna :D

Wow!!

These are some really great ideas that Toyota will be wise to take note of ! I think I will mail this list to them in time for the next IS.

Another thing is a launch-control system like in the new BMW M3 SMG II.

That will make the car accelerate at maximum and optimum speed !

I agree with all the points:

Still a few to add:

1.Gear box knob should be offered still in that metall ball

2. Prices should be still reasonable. There is no point to launch a car at a price which is far beyond normality. Look current IS 300

3. Options like TTE Compressor should be offered at cheaper prices. 6500 Euro is a fortune...

4. Lights in the Boot could be of use when you load your car in the night. That realls annoys me.

5. Board Computer

6. Two Exhaust pipes, like Audi A4 1.8 T

7. Strong but smooth Diesel Engine

8. better damping of engine at high speeds

9. longer gears, so that more top speed

10. Better Built Quality.

11. Automatic Cruise Controll also for Manual Gear Box driven cars

• 2 weeks later...

Definately all of the above - and a couple of very small things I'd like to see:

1. A cut out above the sun-visor so its easier to get my fat mitt in to put it down.

2. Top-tint windscreen. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Cruise control memory isn't lost when speed drops below 25mph

2. Solar panel in sun roof to enable a/c to tick over when parked with engine off.

3. Able to open sun roof if its tilted, without having to close it first. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by weltmeister

I agree with all the points:

Still a few to add:

4. Lights in the Boot could be of use when you load your car in the night. That realls annoys me.

I have a light in the boot of my IS200SE, I believe this is standard in the UK?

• 4 years later...

sorry to boost this thread back up to the top again.

but im interested in knowing what of all the ideas mentioned above have actually made it into the new IS

not being an owner of the new IS i dont know.

can anyone tick off the multiple lists above.

cheers

and sorry again :S

sorry to boost this thread back up to the top again.

but im interested in knowing what of all the ideas mentioned above have actually made it into the new IS

not being an owner of the new IS i dont know.

can anyone tick off the multiple lists above.

cheers

and sorry again :S

many of them (from the original thread) have made it into production, but weren't some of these already muted for the LS430 in 2002? If that's so then it's only logical that every new model since has these (standard or as an option).

So here's to the G3 IS - it has to have auto park feature, AUTO LOCKING doors which is now available on the LS460 (!), rear PCS, ACC as standard and a 21 speaker stereo...plus a Nespresso in the glove box!

It's quite interesting how many of the things mentioned above did make it on to the real car.........

Btw, if the new LS has auto locking, I'm pretty sure the IS will get it in a few years in its midlife update, as with the rear PCS and probably a few other advances - remember how much changed on the Gen1 IS at its update....... :)

We already have a type R, just not in Europe....

As well as most of the above I'd like to be able to press the stalk an have it sweep the windscreen once, automatic headlamps, and a car that is as pretty/aggressive as the current one. It would be nice to have less intrusion in the boot, but I'll settle for good handling.

The 2001 IS does have a one sweep notch on the windscreen wipers stalk and automatic headlamps. I take it the altezza doesnt thats a bummer :huh:

I think rain sensor wipers would fit in nicely and more engine options. At least give the standard engine more power!!

Definatley keep the in line 6 it does make a lovley noise. :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links