Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tow Bar Fitting On Rx300

Hello, I just joined LOC and have spent most of the evening reading the posts- Some very good advice out there!

Ive had my RX300 for a month now and am very pleased with it. I want to carry bikes and was planning to get a tow bar fitted and then attach a bike carrier.

However, Lexus charge almost £800 to fit a branded tow bar and my garage advised me to get it done elsewhere!

I checked with my local Idespension and they reckon the could fit a Brink 3653 swan neck to my car but would have to remove the rear crash bar and cut a hole in the rear plastic skirting. They tell me this is probably the same as Lexus would do anyway.

Does anyone have any experience and/or advice what's best to do :question:

I have a Mark 1 RX300 and a local garage fitted a Towsure fixed towbar. This did not require any cutting of anything. It is however a fixed an totally visible towball and cannot be detached. As I new I would soon get bored of detaching a detachable towball and would then leave it on permanently this didn't bother me.

A word of warning however regarding the electrics. Despite many efforts the garage I used have never been able to sort out the twin socket electrics. The main socket (the black one) works fine but the auxiliary socket (usually a grey colour) doesnt work well in that if I connect it the reversing lights are on permanently and the power for the caravan fridge doesn't work.

I have checked what they have done and they look to have connected everything correctly and swopping the two wires over doesnt produce the right solution.

So now I never connect the auxiliary but that hasnt been a problem either. The main downside is the lack of a cool beer from the fridge on arrival on site!

I had mine done in 2001 and Towsure didn't do prewired plug-in wiring kit. These may be available now.

Since I had mine done I have been told that 'modern' cars like the RX have complex wiring and amateur interference can b*gg*r things up seriously. I haven't suffered any problems with the RX but maybe I was lucky.

As a towing vehicle I find the RX superb

If anyone has any suggestions regarding the wiring I would be interested to hear them.

I have RX300 MK2, I have had a towsure bar fitted to my Lexus.I rung my local Lexus dealer who wanted over £700 to fit one.Made many phone calls to various fitters and all said they could not fit one to my vehicle.This was in April of this year,one of the fitters called Towsure to find out about a towbars fot the RX.

Towsure was looking for a donor vehicle, only problem they are Sheffield some 200 miles away, but they would fit one for £100.00.They made a superb job of it though it took all day for them to fit it.I have towed with my Lexus and it handles well if not better than my Grand Cherokee and Discovery.

I would suggest contacting Towsure in Sheffield as they said it would only be a couple of months before the bar became available.Though it will cost a bit more than a £100.00, I was the first MK2 RX owner to have a non lexus bar fitted.

Mark

What a great deal!!!

I had a towbar fitted to my mk1 rx300se and after trying everywhere many said the fitting of the towbar was no problem its the electrics that are. Apparently its something to do with the management system accepting the extra electrical sockets and its only a dealer fit situation

Realspead

• 3 weeks later...