Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any advice gratefully received

Greetings. I bought a 1990 LS400 just over a year ago. It now has 154,000 on the clock and it’s still a better car that my mate’s new 5-series BMW. I used to think that Japanese cars were cheap rubbish that didn’t last – but I know better now.

There’s an issue that I would like some advice on, though. When switched on from cold, the engine revs straight to 1,800 rpm. It stays that for a couple of minutes then drops to 1,600 (stays for a couple of minutes) then 1,400, 1,200 etc until it settles down to idle at 600 rpm. I’m convinced that this isn’t doing my engine any good and, as I do my best to treat it sympathetically (new SLX every 3,000 miles, only use Optimax) I’d be grateful if anyone has any suggestions. My local Lexus dealer hasn’t a clue but that doesn’t surprise me as they are pretty useless most of the time.

Also, I recently replaced the shocks and springs with new Lexus items but the ride is still quite lumpy. It’s much better with a car full of passengers but most of my driving is done solo. Anything else I should have replaced?

This is normal for your car to start at 1800 rpm then gradually droping down. Unless I do not understand the question properly what you have is an automatic choke. This is to warm the engine so that the oil thins down and protects your engine etc.

Your best bet is to start your car and leave to warm up for 2 mins before driving off.

So this is pretty normal :)

it also helps the catalytic convertors warm up and be more efficient quicker so that the car will pass US emmissions tests (even if you're not in the US).

i doubt it does any significant damage to the engine... if you were reving it over 3k in the first minute or two of driving then you;re inviting premature wear but 1800 should be ok. my '91 starts off at 1200 rpm in the mornings and settles ar about 500 after warming up for a few minutes. i expect this to go higher in the winter. maybe you have winter settings kicking in in the summer?

cheers

julian.

That sounds like the automatic choke to me aswell, it might be an idea to get it krypton tuned aswell if you are unsure. Thay can get it all spot with the timing etc. Its always an idea to get newly purchased cars krypton tuned, as my Dad would say. Then you know how it should feel when its perfect and can tell if it starts running too rich etc.

:D