Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Indicators: Gs300 Series I (1996)

Edit: I've updated this opening post with the important information.

Side repeaters part numbers and details

I phoned Lexus and established the difference between the two part numbers:

• 81730-20220 is the complete unit, which comprises of the clear lens, lamp holder, rubber seal and orange bulb.
  • 81731-20220 is just the clear lens.

Side repeaters fitting instructions

To fit them you just need to push the lens from front to back and pull it out to remove it from the body and then you twist the lamp holder to unlock it from the lens.

I went for the complete part, 81730-20220, and have successfully fitted the same ones to both my old 1996 Series I GS300 Sport and current 2003 Series II GS430 Sport.

I've searched and couldn't find anything so.....

Are clear side repeaters available for a 1996 GS300?

And the front indicators appear to have an orange lense, can these be made clear too? If so, how do you do it?

I like clear lenses, they make a car look cleaner, but sometimes they can be difficult to see flashing in bright weather.

This link covers the clear front indicators and as for the side ones i just fitted aftermarket ones from Halfords ,bulb holder did not fit straight on but with a bit of blue peter diy they fit fine .

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...wtopic=8948&hl=

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the RX300's clear side repeaters fit the Series II GS300 and upon inspecting the Series II GS they look the same as mine. Although saying that, maybe it was that RX's fit an IS. :eerrrmm:

Are the side indicators on a GS the same size and shape as the "standard" Toyota ones that used to fit the Celica/Corolla/MR2/Carina/etc.? If so, I've got a pair of clears that I used to have on my sw20, they might fit.

Part number: 81730-20220

Description: LAMP ASSY, SIDE TURN

Here's one I made earlier - notice how the part numbers are the same!

From that and the following link (it's in Japanese, but you'll get the idea from the pictures):

http://www.mb.ccnw.ne.jp/wanwan/ipsum240/d...erior/turnlamp/

The plastic casing and clip appear to be the same as my Series I GS side repeaters. I might give it a go.

Or you could have mine for nowt next time I'm at a LOC meet (unless I've decided to part-ex my IS in for a GS and need them for my own car instead!).

I wonder if Lex charge more than Toyota for the same part?

Remove your indicator and measure the hole in the wing. I'll check to see if it is the same as the series II.

Thanks Colin.

I didn't get a chance to do this last night. I'll do it as soon as possible and post the Series I measurement.

I'll do it when I get home this evening.

Thank you!

I'm going to have to get a new pair anyway as one of them is leaking, despite using silicone seal to seal the edge, and I don't fancy water getting into the bulb housing, so if I can fit clear ones it would be a bonus.

I have the bag mine came in and it's the number 81730. Order them through Chris Shipley he will make sure you get the right ones. I think mine came with the rubber seals so maybe 81731 is just the plastic part?

You will also need the orange bulbs to go with them.

I have the bag mine came in and it's the number 81730. Order them through Chris Shipley he will make sure you get the right ones. I think mine came with the rubber seals so maybe 81731 is just the plastic part?

You will also need the orange bulbs to go with them.

Thanks, as ever!

I've sent Chris a PM.

81730-20220

and

81731-20220

Which is the correct part number or what's the difference between the two?

I gave Lexus a call and established the differences so I thought I'd post them for reference (Colin was on the right track):

81730-20220 is the complete unit which comprises of the clear lens, lamp holder, rubber seal and orange bulb.

81731-20220 is just the clear lens.

• 2 weeks later...

My two new clear side repeaters came a couple of days ago (81730-20220). I fitted them to my Series I GS this morning, I replaced the entire unit with all the new parts (lamp holder, rubber seal and lens), a perfect fit. You simply push the lens from front to back and pull it out to remove it from the body.

I haven't had clear side repeaters on a car for a couple of years and I forgot how much better and 'cleaner' they look compared to orange lenses.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me, especially Chris Shipley.