Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mp3 Players And Lexus Stereo

Unfortunately with the IS200 being a 1999 design car there was no thought to MP3s, Bluetooth or even an auxiliary input.

A few people have played with the idea of creating an auxiliary input. I think Geoffers did something with soldering some bits inside the stereo so that the tape button switched over to an auxiliary input. SteveAudioX was starting to produce a commercial offering but nothings been heard about it for a while.

For a short while a company in the US offered an interface to the stereo to provide an aux in but soon stopped it, presumably because of problems.

Most people us an FM modulator or Tape adapter.

With the FM modulator you need to have the power to it switched somewhere so that you can stop it interferring with things like the RDS when not in use. You also need a ground loop isolator or something to stop noise. While in use you dont get RDS cutting in and you supposedly need a fairly decent modulator before you get good quiality.

I use a Tape adapter and theres a bit of mechanical noise when music is very quiet but theres no hard wiring, its good quality and you still get RDS traffic announcements.

I use a tape adaptor for my iPod as I found FM modulators such as the iTrip very susceptable to interference and seemed to lose a lot of the bottom end and wash out the mid range.

In my experience tho, the tape adaptors can vary in sound quality. The 2.99 Argos job I had sounded very muddy and killed all the top end! the Dr Bot one from the apple store is tons better (but much more £) and only loses a bit of the top end.

On the other hand, does the std stereo have a phono output?

Its the early 2000 one.

The stock head unit has no line level inputs or outputs. You could hack the speaker out lines from the stereo (I don't think a 2000 model would have had a separate amp) and use some funky electronics to attenuate the signal down to line-level RCA sockets, but then you entering a whole new ball game of aggro, and are likely to get noise and other sound artefacts ;)