Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Playing Dvd's..?

Guys, Im probably not the 1st to ask this - but I have a IS200 Sport with Sat Nav and wanted a DVD player in my ride.

I have a single din Kenwood MP3 player also out of my old corsa, and Im sick of the original double din unit and loads of CD's knocking around - when I can fit lots on albums on 1 MP3 CD.

I thought about taking out the standard stereo, and replacing it with my MP3 unit and perhaps a DVD player underneath..?

Do you know if its possible to get DVD's to play on the standard Sat Nav screen? Or is it possible to play DVD's on the sat nav disc drive in the boot?

I live in Stoke and wouldn't fancy fitting this myself. I've been into ICEand Audio shops around my area but all of them say a converter for the Lexus screens is not made and "if u had a Range Rover, BM or Merc - it wouldn't b a problem" !?!?!?

I refuse to take this and am sure that someone out there has DVD's playing right now in their IS.

Does any1 know if this is possible and/or know of anywhere in my area that could sort this for me

Dave

:driving:

I'm no expert and my IS doesn't have SAT Nav but I know that in order for it to remain working you have to keep the stock stereo so that rules out your Kenwood MP3 h/u.

As for DVD on the Sat Nav screen, drop Geoffers or SteveAudioX a PM, they should be able to tell you more, though I think most people here use headrest and sunvisor screens and a player mounted in the glovebox etc. for DVD playback.

Yea, thanks for the info. Is everyone Absolutely Positive that there is no way of replacing the standard unit..?

Im not a expert either, but think there be, perhaps a converter of sum kind is needed..? I dunno.

But I dont like carrying loads of cd's and NEED my mp3... :angry:

I think I remember a thread about a convertor from the US for the IS300 which allows DVD playback on the OEM Sat Nav screen. If it exists then it would probably work with the IS200 screen as this should be the same as the IS300.

As for keeping the Sat Nav working and removing the OEM stereo I think there was a thread once about a guy (not sure if it was in the UK or US) who did this sucessfully by fitting his new headunit in the dash and re-locating the OEM unit to the boot by extending the cables. Sounds like a lot of work and would it be worth it? I'd assume a good knowledge of the IS200's wiring would be required too and it wouldn't be that straightforward.

yes there is a way of taking out the stock stereo AND keeping the sta nav working.. Dean (dpk) has had it done already and i will be in the near future,,

as for the sta nav screen, there ARE convertors out there, contact steveaudiox..

yes there is a way of taking out the stock stereo AND keeping the sta nav working.. Dean (dpk) has had it done already and i will be in the near future,,

But Dean doesnt have the voice working, you need to keep the old hu and amp or add an independent speaker for the voice.

ahhh riight, must admit i didnt ask that question.. think i need to find that one out..

Correct Dean doesn't but that was his choice and YES you can keep the annoying voice from the sat-nav if you so wish. :D

I'll wait till its done and Paul please could you do a workshop guide while your at it mate ;)

ahhh riight, must admit i didnt ask that question.. think i need to find that one out..

Correct Dean doesn't but that was his choice and YES you can keep the annoying voice from the sat-nav if you so wish. :D

I'll wait till its done and Paul please could you do a workshop guide while your at it mate ;)

Ah ha...Pauls not doing it,though he is having it done,unless hes changed his mind.

Yes ..

You can have an aftermarkit stereo system and retain ALL the functions of the oem nav.

Yes ..

You can also input a DVD picture into your oem monitor, but pick the right adaptor, as I the I have wull not allow the use of a PAL input only NTSC which is fine by me.

Thanks for your help lads!

I do desperately want these....mainly to watch sum 'jonny vaughen' :tsktsk: if u no wot I mean :blink:

If I HAVE 2 leave my standard HU in then, I will go for the DVD option as the next best thing. Which converter do I need then? How much wud it set be back..?

And does any1 no of a place in my area who coud fit it

sorry...also Is it complicated to fit, how much wud I be looking at to install.

Cheers

Dave

Not too complicated to fit as the adaptor does come with a set of instructions.. Wores can be tapped into the front near the monitor or rear near the nav unit.

RGB colours are available on the LOC knowledgebase.

I got my adaptor from NAV T.V based in Cardiff, they may not sell to the public, but have many dealers located around the UK who will supply and fit the adaptor.

Perhaps to try their web site first.

Another member also ordered another type of adaptor which worked, this was somewhat cheaper then the one I got by about 100 or so quid.

Spoke to a nice chap at Nav.TV who said there is a convertor and they are currently making one that does both PAL & NTSC which will be a few months...

He said he would check for a dealer in my area, but then never rang me back :-(

I called them again today, and they said they would get someone to call me back again.... but Im still waiting... :whistling:

He did say that the Standard DVD Drive in the boot (for the Sat Nav) wud'nt work as only for sat nav, and I would need a new drive. DOH!

As-yet Im still waiting for a supplied and fitted price though...

Dave

I found another one like this but in the states, plays PAL, NTSC and all the others and costs $399 which seems reasonable i guess.

It is here NavWithTV

and they say it works fine with the Lexus DVD Navigation system, anyone have any experience with this?

• 1 month later...

Take a look at this thread

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=16000&

My converter will take a PAL or NTSC input, and output the RGB+s needed for the sat nav screen.

Cost is around $190 (usd) but there is import duty and VAT slaped on top!

Fitted in a morning and works fine.

If you need more details PM me!

QUALITY! So it can b done! Your install looks very nice! Just what I want. My Sat Nav OEM Screen playing my favorite DVD's!

Does it automatically flick over when you PS is on?

Im not too fussed about a PS2, but would need some sort of DVD/VCD standalone unit to fit under my passenger seat and also leads.

I contacted Nav.TV again - but no reply to mails etc. This has happened a few times now :-((((

Do you know where to buy the DVD units and know anywhere around my area to fit it for me??? (Im not very technical)

Cheers

Dave

Does it automatically flick over when you PS is on?

No I have a seperate switch which powers up the 12v to 240v power converter, and switches the screen over to the input for the PS2.

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/alb...ash_tray_switch

Like above. Except now I have 2 switches in there.

Hope this helps