Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Installing A Safc For Is200

gwin

Hi guys,

Anyone have the SAFC I or II in their IS200? Those who know their stuff, what pin outs do i connect the wires to? I have the diagram, but it's missing a few variables.

Thanks in advanced.

I´m not mistaken I tried to connect one on my IS200, but it didn´t work because of the ECU extension with the SC.

But if yours is not SC I might go like this:

E2-16 (B-R) / Ignition Power (B)

E6-21 (W-B) / Earth (E01)

E6-25 (Y) / RPM Signal (IGF)

E5-23 (W-R) / Throttle Position Sensor (VTA)

E5-9 (GR) / Intake Manufold Absolute Pressure (PIM)

Hope it feels good.... :winky:

Colin....i've recently acquired a SAFC2...being that I have the ECU for the charger installed...i'm guessing that this would need to come out to make way for the SAFC2 which would take over...right??

You wouldn't want two devices adjusting the same ECU input. You may be able to remove the SC ECU but I don't know what else it connects to or what signals it received from the SC - the SAFC may not be able to fully replace it?

You could take the outputs from the SC ECU into the SAFC and then into the engine ECU. That way you can make adjustments to what the SC ECU is doing.

Either way you need to find someone who understands both products and can set them up correctly on a rolling road.

The TTE sub ecu is basically just a voltage clamp to prevent the map sensor seeing too much boost pressure.

You can use the Apexi SAFC (or whatever) in conjunction with but you can't remove the TTE ecu without having an alternative method of clamping.

Fitting the SAFC will be of little value because the fuel system is already maxed out, but if you do want to fit it, a Colin said, have it fitted and set up professionally.

Thanks Mark and Colin....so Mark...are you saying that the SAFC2 will be of no real benefit to my car?...Should I even bother having it installed?

i would have thought that the safc would be of benifit in as much as 'remapping' the air/fuel ratio, which would ultimatly be better that what is currently set with the oem ecu..

The theory is quite correct Mr Fargo. On n/a cars it would be useful to lean off the fuel delivery for more power and better economy, but the fuel system on s/c cars is almost maxed out so there is not a lot to be gained until you uprate the pump, regulator and lines. The SAFC (and other similar products) can only map in 2D which is too much of a compromise IMHO

Personally I would prefer to see a Unichip or FCON or anything that can map in 3D and offer ignition optimisation for s/c models.

Positive Fargo.

You need more fuel to compensate the added pressurize air.

Under this conditions the car´s original fuel system is put to work at a point where it has not been design for, meaning that the fuel volume that powers the pump and the atomisation generated by the injectors is handling almost a 80%.

In a fuel injected system 80% is "maxed out".

mark,, could you explain what you mean by the fuel is maxed out when the s/c is fitted..

do you mean the s/c simply sucks more fuel,

I meant that the standard fuel delivery system doesn't have much spare capacity to provide much more fuel if required because everything is working flat out. If you remove the cats the engine runs too lean.

In the past we have remedied this by uprating the pump, adding an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a fuel return line back to the tank. Even if you do all of this, the injectors are still maxed out if you use our stage 1 kit running at 0.5 bar.

Our next project is the stage 2 boost upgrade which will be running larger fuel injectors and FCON V Pro. We are going to try and use the standard fuel lines etc first because if this works it will save the £2k it normally costs to do the fueling upgrade.

The catalytic system is not a problem if you eliminate them and use a simulator system. This system is sold by many conpanies around the world, but is specially sold for Lexus at Toyomoto.com in the USA.

It´s only about US$80.00.

Using this simulator you can modify the fuel delivery system without problems, and upgrade the injectors (can use Supras or other Toyota spec larger injectors)using the original fuel lines and rails. You can even use the F-con to manage this new injectors and can reduce costs by not having to modify on return lines.

If you remove the cats the engine runs too lean.

Mark, is this if you remove the precats or just the main cat?

Does it cause a problem with the engine running lean?

The catalytic system is not a problem if you eliminate them and use a simulator system. This system is sold by many conpanies around the world, but is specially sold for Lexus at Toyomoto.com in the USA.

It´s only about US$80.00.

Using this simulator you can modify the fuel delivery system without problems, and upgrade the injectors (can use Supras or other Toyota spec larger injectors)using the original fuel lines and rails. You can even use the F-con to manage this new injectors and can reduce costs by not having to modify on return lines.

You don't need simulators if you remove the pre-cats the O2 sensors can remain. However they, or simulators, are not used when the ECU is in open loop which is when you can run into lean conditions.

The simulator is NEEDED if you´re S/C.

S/C and turbo car aplications need to have a fuel/air ratio of @ 12.5:1, which won´t be achieve without using the simulator, either at any throttle position or full throttle ("open loop").

Normally aspirated cars can go ahead and run lean, at @ 14.5:1 - 15.0:1, which is the std. program of IS200 ECU fuel map.

In conclusion if your S/C you need to "fool" the ECU...

Maferga,

now i might be misunderstanding this but as tdi have quoted earlier the TTE ecu that comes with the tte s/c just stops the overboost,

Therefore as it comes out of the box there is nothing to fool the std ecu fuel/air ratio.

is this correct

so are you saying that to remove the precat then it is advisable to have some sort of engine management to tweak it out of a lean situation..

Yes, but you are limited in what can be achieved until the fuel system is upgraded and/or larger injectors are used.

and upgrade the injectors (can use Supras or other Toyota spec larger injectors)using the original fuel lines and rails. You can even use the F-con to manage this new injectors and can reduce costs by not having to modify on return lines.

That confirms our theory if you have tried it.

Our stage 2 upgrade will not work without larger injectors so we have identified the correct ones for the job and were hoping not to have to do the fuel lines as well.