Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Brake Booster Pump

Hi,

It seems my brake booster pump (whatever that is) needs replacing. I have all the brake and VSC lights on the dash, buzzer going off and fault codes C1223 & C1252. Lexus Southampton have quoted me 2238.74 inc. labour (2.4 hours) & vat, which seems a bit steep to me. How can a pump cost >£2000?

I haven't had any luck finding the part on google (L47050-30152), though the description on the quote actually calls it "cylinder,master" but comes up with the high price (i.e. more than a master cylinder), so I'm a bit confused anyway.

Can anyone give me more details on this part, or suggest an alternative that isn't quite as expensive?

Richard.

(99GS300Sport)

The master cylinder contains the pump and a whole load of solenoids for the ABS/VSC. I've heard of this problem on a few 1998-2000 GS300s and the price is about right.

Not sure if the pump is available on it's own. If it is then it should be much cheaper than that - that's if it is the pump that is faulty, I wonder if it is just the pressure sensor?

Had a look at one of these before - pump seems to work fine, could have been one of the solenoids but done more damage trying to get into them.

Best option is to try and find a GS300 being broken. Should cost you £300 for the complete master cylinder.

Thanks for the reply. If it's all one unit that makes the quote make a little more sense (and the price).

Just need to find a suitable car being broken then. I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to install? They say 2.4 hours, so allowing a little longer, I ought to be able to do it with a mechanic friend? I wouldn't imagine any special tools needed.

As for the exact problem, they didn't go into detail. I suspect they wouldn't know till it was replaced, and only then if they went to the effort of dismantling the old one. The only symptoms (aside from the buzzer and dash lights) are an odd sort-of squeaking noise, repeating every second or so. It may be another buzzer it's hard to tell (it certainly isn't the same buzzer as the main one, maybe one built into the unit?). The noise has a "feel" of being on a cycle, which I guess fits with the idea of a faulty pump.

Also there is a sort of grinding/vibrating feel to the brake pedal if I touch it lightly, only during the sort squeak, and if I press the pedal it goes, and causes the sqeak to miss a beat.

Richard.

Looking at the repair manual C1252 is hydro-booster pump motor malfunction. Basically the pump has run for 5 minutes and the correct pressure hasn't been achieved.

Could be pump, control circuit or high and low pressure sensors.

The repair procedures seem to imply the pump can be replaced on it's own - although it would probably cost a couple of hours extra labour in changing just that part.

Did Lexus Southampton do work on the car other than just getting the fault codes? There are procedures to test the pressure sensors before just assuming the pump/master cylinder is faulty.

It's not too difficult to replace the complete unit. Disconnect the brake lines and brake padel connection and unbolt. Just need to fully bleed the system once the new unit is fitted.

Was you car left for a week or two and this fault occured? Two other people I know had this fault after the car wasn't driven for a couple of weeks +

They didn't say if they had done any additional testing. In fact the only reason I ended up with the fault codes was because I was back in Derbyshire when this first occured a week ago, and I took it into Lexus Nottingham to check it was safe to drive it back down here. They gave me the codes and told me to pass them onto Lexus Southampton when I got home.

I hope Southampton actually checked the car and didn't simply lookup the fault codes I gave them, I'm assuming they did. I should have watched them but sadly they had a TV in the waiting area and I got distracted :-( (which by the way isn't great, just a little bit of Lexus crammed into a Toyota dealer, not like the fab one in Nottingham).

All they told me was brake booster pump, and of course I have the info on the quote (with part number, which oddly google can't find).

Richard.

Sounds fairly easy then. I assume there are a few electrical connections too, but I guess they are the easiest part to disconnect. So assuming a breaker can remove the part without destroying it, I should be able to get it put back on alright.

The car hadn't been stood. Driven 5 days a week (25 miles/day) for the couple of weeks upto it happening, then a 200 mile drive to Derbyshire. Next time I went to use it a couple of the squeaks, then the next time a lot more squeaks then the buzzer and lights. Seems to have been getting worse since that point (more sqeaking and then onto the buzzer quicker and staying on for much longer at a time).

Richard.

p.s. is there a downloadable version of the service manual? sounds like i could find it handy

No there isn't a downloadable version. You can buy the service manuals from Lexus but will cost you around £250 for the set. I subscribe to alldatadiy which is good although it's for US models.

There are also pdf versions on the manuals for sale on eBay which cost around $30 - illegal of course.

I assume you would recommend alldatadiy then? I was tempted by techinfo.lexus.com, was going to try the $10 one day subscription and grab what I could for my car. I assume the US GS300 is close enough to the UK version? Anyway $25/year at the other is much better, so if you say its good, I'll be signing up tonight.

Richard.

techinfo needs a US postal address for your credit card so unless you know somebody in the US who can subscribe and give you the login details you won't get access.

alldatadiy is good - most things are there and taken from the Lexus documentation although some things are missing. Sometimes it takes a bit of time finding things

There aren't too many differences between the US and UK cars apart from locations of things may be a mirror image.

• 3 months later...

Hi Richard,

haven't been on this site for a long time and just seen your topic.

I had the exact same problem and it drove me nuts (that buzzer just stays on! - and I got the squeaking noise which I was told the cylinder trying to fill up with pressure and failing).

Lexus (Nottingham and Manchester) both said the whole unit needed replacing costing over £2000 - absolutely extortinate!

Seeing you have also the same problem, I wonder how many people do get this problem - Lexus said this was rare and its first they have seen!!

In the end, I managed to get a spare part from Dial-4-parts cost around £700 then I got lexus to fit it cost £200. Still expensive.

Do you manage to get it fixed?

Tahir