Sign in to follow this  
JimVmax

1999 Ls400 Satnav Update!

Hi to you all,

I have found the satnav unit in the boot. Taken the disk out it says its Version 2.1 data 98-99. Does any one have a more up to date version for sale, also does anyone no if a later disk has anymore functions?

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Jim. ;)

Only a few differences. The very early ones also had more options greyed out when moving. Version 3.x seem to work a bit better over version 2.x with lots more point of interest.

Think the current version is still 3.7 but a 3.4 will still be much better than what you have. Come up on ebay now and again.

Lexus customer services should loan you the latest version which you can test for a week or two if you want.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply m8. I went to lexus Bolton dealer last friday, to be told they do not loan the nav cd, if I wanted one it would be £284+vat.

So I am still looking for a up2date disk if anyone can help.

Email me on jim.vmax@virgin.net

Thanks

Jim

Dealers don't loan the discs but Lexus GB do. I've had one before. £284+VAT sounds like you were quoted for the DVD disc not the CD. Send either Lexus Edinburgh or Chris Shipley a PM, they will be able to get you a price and post the disc to you if you decide to purchase.

The new CD is £154.95 inc vat. I ordered one but I think it is expensive. However, given that this car cost £50K brand new, I expect the running costs to be high. The first owner of my car took almost a £40K depreciation hit in four years. Whenever I think of that, it makes every upgrade\repair\service cost I have seem a bargin

My v2.1 CD had the number 08664-50820 printed on it. That gave the Lexus parts department a clue to what I needed when I rang.

Ver 2.1 is crap. Unless you are in a major city it drops you off at least half a mile from your destination in most cases :angry: . I have a PDA running TomTom Navigator that is far better so I tend to use it instead.

I'm hoping the latest CD is significantly better than V2.1. If it isn't then I will get my money back. I'll post my opinion when i've used it a bit.

Hi uham999,

Thanks for the reply. What version did you buy? I look forward to your comments. :)

Takecare Jim ;)

Ver 2.1 is crap. Unless you are in a major city it drops you off at least half a mile from your destination in most cases :angry: . I have a PDA running TomTom Navigator that is far better so I tend to use it instead.

I'm hoping the latest CD is significantly better than V2.1. If it isn't then I will get my money back. I'll post my opinion when i've used it a bit.

Version 3.x all have full UK coverage so should take you within 10m of the destination. The only thing then is the date of the map data used, which is normally a year or two before the release date - e.g. if version 3.7 came out in 2003 the road data may be 2001 to 2002.

Well Thank You everyone. I got the sat nav ver 3.7 off eBay :D ,

Takecare Jim ;)

I've been using my new SatNav CD for a month or so now. I've driven all over the country in that time so can give a reasonable overview.

The latest version is 3.7. It will now take you to the door rather than dumping you in the middle of nowhere like the worthless 2.1 release. There is a new function that allows you to enter the house number for your destination. There are plenty of small villages not indexed on the maps but usually these places are small enough for you to pinpoint them on the map. At least the system will take you to the exact spot you pinpoint on the map. It's a pity that destinations can't be specified by postcode but that is a nice to have rather than absolute necessary.

The route guidance instructions have improved. The best example is that is much more specific about which exit to take on roundabouts.

The data is actually from 2002 which is is too old especially when you consider this CD cost over £150. I frequently find myself driving over green fields rather than roads.

In my opinion, some of the routes it comes up with are terrible. Sometimes it takes you right through town centres when there is a perfectly good bypass available. It seems to like to take you across country rather than down motorways. I've fiddled around with estimated speed settings for different road types but it doesn't seem to improve noticably.

I've found that the best way to use it is to go in the direction you know is reasonable and ignore all local autorerouting instructions. When you get onto a decent major road, tell it to recalculate the whole route. This is a one or two button operation. The route it comes up at that point will be reasonable.

If anyone has any ideas on how to configure it better so it comes up with better route plans then please post them here.

In summary

Put into context the cost of the 3.7 CD with the value of your car then its' a worthwhile upgrade (Less than the price of a single tyre on my car). If one of the reasons you bought a mark IV LS was for the navigation then without this upgrade, you may has well have saved yourself a few grand and bought a MKIII or earlier car because the 2.1 CD is worse than a £10 paper map.

PROS

Version 3.7 is a useful upgrade.

SatNav really comes into it's own in the last few miles of a journey as it drops you off at the door and takes the stress out of finding unfamiliar places. 3.7 achieves this.

The instructions are less ambiguous than 2.1 especially on roundabounts.

CONS

Maps are two years out of date.

In my opinion, 3.7 doesn't make best use of major roads in route generation.

Dealers don't loan the discs but Lexus GB do.

Ahh - do you (or anyone else) know how I can contact Lexus GB for this purpose? Thanks :)

Sign in to follow this