Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mystery Squealing Noise

lambchop

Apologies if this has been discussed previously....most of the 'squeaking / squealing' posts seem to be linked to braking, which I'm not sure is relevant here.

Anyway - my driver's side front wheel has started making a horrible squealing sound. The noise is not present from a cold start, but once it starts (after a few minutes / miles) it is pretty much constant EXCEPT when I steer away from it (ie, steer left), at which point is stops, only to return when I straighten up.

I have listened as carefully as I can with the window down, and at slow speeds the noise sounds very much like metal grinding on metal.

When I brake, the noise doesn't really change much, and when driving at motorway speeds, the noise seems to stop (either that or is drowned out by the road noise).

As a very much 'non-mechanical' chap, I have no idea what this could be - bearings/brakes etc etc.

Any help or pointers very much appreciated before I hand the car over to my dealer and no doubt incur a hefty bill.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Just for my own curiosity.....why would the brakes pads being worn cause this noise whilst I'm not braking? I could understand some grinding and squealing when I apply the brakes...........

Forgive my doofus-ness if this is obvious! :duh:

Thanks again

Thanks for that. Just for my own curiosity.....why would the brakes pads being worn cause this noise whilst I'm not braking? I could understand some grinding and squealing when I apply the brakes...........

Forgive my doofus-ness if this is obvious! :duh:

Thanks again

because when the pad gets worn to a certain level there is a piece of metal (sensor) that touches the disc to tell you that its worn

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links