Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had An Accident..

Scorpion

O.K Guys your thoughts are appreciated here;

Got home today and a letter was waiting for me ,it was from my insurance co saying that i was involved in an accident(in the Lex) on June 2nd on the A12 apparently,so i phoned them straight away and they said someone is making a third party claim against me so i asked what time of the day this happened and they said there was no time stipulated of the accident....very strange!!!

I checked with work and if it turns out that the accident happened between 08.00-16.00 then there is no case to answer to because my car is always parked on co premises but,what if it happened outside this time even though i know i was no-where near the A12 on this day how can i prove it.

Worse thing is that the insurer doesn't believe me and the :tsktsk: makes a claim against me.

Your thoughts.

Surely if you are involved in an accident then there would be damage to your vehicle.

Even after having cars repaired 'an expert' can still identify where (if any) the repair work was done.

As you've said, you were not involved in this incident so you should have no problems in proving it by letting the accident investigators have a look. :)

It's the first time I've heard of such a case. I wonder if the person claiming they had an accident with you has genuinely made an error by giving your name.

Do you have any enemies.....? :ph34r:

Insurers - what a bunch of :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: sorry i feel better now.

I feel exactly the same as dobedo - let them prove it - hopefully its in the time that you were at work in which case they can go :tsktsk: themselves.

Feel for you mate....these kind of things really get to you until its sorted :angry:

Do you have tracker fitted? if so, they can confirm its location within a set time.

Are there any CCTV on the road which can identify you driving sown the road at ANYTIME on that particular day.

Do you have any receipts for ANYTHING you purchased on that particular day, this would prove your whereabouts at the time of purchase.

Did you send any emails from work on that day, that would prove that your email address was used at that particular time on that day (although it doesnt prove it was you !)

Does your work have CCTV overlooking the car park?

Will anyone at work testify that you did not leave the premises at all in that day?

Are you sure that someone you know hasnt had a bump, and blamed you cos they dont like you?

Insist that the Insurance Company provide proof that your vehicle was involved? (a testimony from the other party is not enough)

Did you speak to anyone on the phone at work at all during that day?

Are your telephone conversations recorded? (Date/Time Stamp)?

Do you have security on the gate at work?

If you didnt have an accident, then it is upto the insurance company to say that you did, and prove it. If you are innocent, then there is nothing to worry about, but make sure when it is found that you had nothing to do with it, you get a written statement from your insurance company stating that.

If all else fails, inform the insurance company that the press will be informed and so will your MP. They will probably produce documents then. They dont like it up em......

Ask for details of other vehicle and copy of their claim form. Also ask why you never stopped? Surely if you had known you would have stopped ........... also full details of your car on claim ...... colour etc.

There must be something that will show it wasn't you.

the third party will have to PROVE it,,

Your insurers should be BACKING YOU UP..after all they do not want ot pay..or it seems that they do..

You were at work, and they can verify this..

if your insurers wuna be funny about it, tell em to stick there policy

It would be well worth asking a few more questions.

I don't know much about how these things work but :

Did they find you & your insurance co from a (misidentified) reg plate?

How did your name & correct insurance co come to be identified?

Have you been involved in an insurance claim, with your lex in the past few years? (i.e. some kind of scam)

(As above) have you pi**ed anyone off recently?

Can you get more details about the claimant & the incident?

As always, the ins co will try to take the line of least resistance involving minimum hassle & expense for themselves.

Hope you get it sorted.

The same sort of thing happened to my sister.

In the end they have to prove it was you there, and that their/your car has damage from this happening.

My sisters was in the end found out to be a White Van driving around on her Peug's plate. I was asked to prove that I was with my sister (if I was or not was a different story :whistling: ) and was all ok.

End of the day we found out they need to prove you are there. Either by damage which can 100% be linked to your car (black paint on their's "red" on yours). or otherwise (Wittness, speed camera etc)

..... Weren't we all at a mini meet that day?? :ph34r:

shhh i am trying to get a free respray! :P :P

must admit thats a very strange claim. Perhaps your insurance company are telling fibs so you lose NCB?

BTW.. is your NCB protected?

Yes Steve its protected,i have 8yrs no claims.

I dont think there is anything i can do until they phone me again tomorrow with more details,as i say if its during the day then thats fine as its parked up at work in Surrey.

peter jenkins:

Do you have tracker fitted? if so, they can confirm its location within a set time.

NO

Are there any CCTV on the road which can identify you driving sown the road at ANYTIME on that particular day.

WONT KNOW UNTIL I SPEAK TO THEM 2MORROW

Do you have any receipts for ANYTHING you purchased on that particular day, this would prove your whereabouts at the time of purchase.

i'LL CHECK

Did you send any emails from work on that day, that would prove that your email address was used at that particular time on that day (although it doesnt prove it was you !)

DONT WORK IN AN OFFICE!

Does your work have CCTV overlooking the car park?

I THINK SO

Will anyone at work testify that you did not leave the premises at all in that day?

I AM ON THE ROAD ALL DAY

Are you sure that someone you know hasnt had a bump, and blamed you cos they dont like you?

DONT BE SILLY

Insist that the Insurance Company provide proof that your vehicle was involved? (a testimony from the other party is not enough

OF COURSE

Did you speak to anyone on the phone at work at all during that day?

NO

Are your telephone conversations recorded? (Date/Time Stamp)?

NO

Do you have security on the gate at work?

ONLY AT NIGHT

Phew.....

Also if you give a/any reg no to your insurance co they will find out who they are insured with.!!

They've got to prove you were there Pete. Even if it was "It couldn't of been me I was watching the Football with my Other other and a mate".

Its two things. 1 your insurance would love to take away your NCB, and 2 some git is after a bit of repair work.

As long as you can put a place and some people to that time there's nothing to worry about.

Steve,

In reply to your questions mate, I have some Legal information for you. (don't ask me how i know, that would be telling what i do for a living! lol)

Right, under the Road Traffic ACT 1968, a person who is involved in a road Traffic Accident MUST -

1) STOP

2) Exchange details, (registration plate and name of driver is only required by law)

if it was a PI (personal injury) accident, then insurance certificate would also have to be shown.

3) Any third party witnesses must be obtained

Soooo , that means that either one of you would have to have failed to comply with that. So, techincally he would have had to ring "999" and tell the police that a vehicle had "failed to stop" that vehicle being yours, so if there is also no evidence that he rang 999 or even went into a police station to report a vehicle failing to stop, that would only heighten suspicion of the claim.

All I can advise that you do, is tell your insuance company to ask the other driver to fully describe you as a driver, and what you was wearing, andy words exchanged, and also ask to see a copy of the original note, as to where he wrote down your vehicle registration number, if you did fail to stop!

right ... that's enuff, .... contact me if u need any more!

Ta!

Something does not seem right here :excl:

Firstly if you had an accident and did not report it I thought that the insurance company could not do anything until you had reported it, as it was their word against yours, (I would remind them that you are the customer and that they should be working with you on this and not against you, I bet you have just renewed your policy with them)

Does anyone else have access to keys for your car? maybe they borrowed it without asking!!

Also what really concerns me is that how has someone got all your details and gone to your insurance company and said you had an accident, I thought that there was such a thing as data protection.

You said that you called your insurance company, did you use the number on the top of the letter that you received today? (just thinking it maybe another scam). If so try using another number that is on your policy.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious here.

Anyhow good luck and let us know how you get on

I've been with DL for the past 5 yrs.

Maria...other members of the family have use of the car but,if it was during office hours my work place wouldn't let someone walk in and take the car without me giving prior notice to them,also when i rang them i quoted my policy no,was then told that said letter was sent to me advising of a t/party claim against me.

Metserveuk....forgot my password for MSN :blush:

Said password now retrieved :)

Edited by Scorpion