Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Future Mods

neuro

Thinking about suspension mods before I go ahead with installing 18" G-games rims.

I've got only 2 options:

1. Get Tein springs with Cusco sway bars. I heard Tein springs make a drop of 1.5" all round, but I doubt that my rims will be safe from potholes, esp with a combination of stock shocks. Cheaper method though. But are there any handling improvement at all?

2. Or get Tanabe Sustec GF coilovers. Bit pricey and less flare compared to Teins. But I heard they do a great job, street and race.

Seems like I cant compromise with the Tanabes (budget-wise) and with the price of the coilovers I can get springs AND sway bars, but if anyone here can convince me otherwise... :winky:

Now my other concern would be downpiping. Are there any complications in changing to an aftermarket one? (with all that "Check Engine" warning and all)

I heard replacing the downpipe would involve removing the pre-cats, thus increasing torque and exhaust sound. I also have to consider replacing the manifolds to go along with the downpipe. This true?

based on my experinace, the tein flex system gave excellent results, especially when couple with uprated antiroll bars,, i wouldnt bother with sway bars as they are more cosmetic that offer any 'real' greater handling help.

i also opted for the tein edfc, electronic damperning control which allowed me to adjust the damperning whilst on the move..

I also recommend the pre cat removal especially if your gona add a supercharger. i found that the exhaust note deepened as well as a little extra performance gain.

manifolds and CEL,, you would need an O2 simulator to sort this out,, and i think a lot of manifolds are coming with this included, certainly my xerd manifold has.

Thanks for the insight Mr Fargo, but would Tein springs coupled with sway bars make any difference?

btw, arent sway bars also known at stabilisers. I'm not talking about 'cosmetic' top strut bars that goes over the shock mountings.

Very contradicting indeed, as lots of people claim sway bars make a huge difference in cornering, handling, etc.

Anyways, my first choice was to get the Tein Flex but then again the heavy price tag was a downer. (but its still in my wish list :winky: )

Tanabe's Sustec GF coilovers is my 2nd alternative, but are they really good?

I'm more concern on ride quality, handling and most importantly to withstand potholes that would kill my future 18" rims.

So the question now: Would Tein S-tech springs just simply do the job?

As for the downpipes and headers I'm thinking to do a customised one, maintaining the exact diameter exits. Although I dont have supercharger but I would like to experiment with the downpipe first. I just want that extra exhaust sound and possibly some increase in torque..

Ok then, so it's down to springs and sway (anti roll) bars.

So I'll just get Tein S-Tech springs..anyone tried these before?

Any good recommendations for anti-rolls that works well with the Tein S-Tech springs? Cusco perhaps?

Hey guys, thanks for the advise.

I have placed an order for the Tein S-tech springs (Medium tensile strength)

and also the blue cusco sway stabiliser bars. S-tech springs makes a 35mm drop front and 28mm drop rear. Dunno whether this is going to affect my rims in the future though. I have one thing to bear in mind though, to drive slow on the slightest pothole or uneven roads. But this is just a starter for the suspension area.

Overall, it cost about the same as a Tanabe sustec GF coilovers.

However, as you guys recommended, sways bars are the main thing that makes a difference in cornering, handling, etc. So that's in the top priority.

So I've got 2 mths wait now. B) Will make an update by then

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've cancelled my order for the Tein S-tech springs, after much doubt over the 2" lowering distance. Instead I'm going for the H-tech springs, as I heard these are of stronger material quality without sacrificing comfort. And most importantly it lowers around 1.2".

Any comments on the S-tech guys? Your opinions much appreciated as i've got a day to confirm the purchase.

As for my other mod project, instead of fiddling around with my downpipes, I've done some mods on my center piping today with a straight thru pipe with a stainless 'bomb' center piece. Removed 2 middle stock resonators in the process. (i think that's what its called)

Noticeable performance increase with a much louder sound coming from my blitz nur spec.

Will post some pics and sound clips soon.